Monday, August 29, 2011

DIY all natural dishwashing detergent... did i mention it's super cheap?


Bonjour, mes amis!

I know that mondays are notoriously awful for 90% of the population, but today is so fun! I woke up early, read a bit and headed out to meet a friend for a morning of French and ballet. In my book- that is perfection. And THEN- I went to Horrocks, and found that they are indeed stocking my favorite baked goods again. Are any of you out there fans of Rise 'n Roll Bakery? Maybe if you're from Indiana you've heard of it. It's an Amish bakery that makes the.best.donuts in the world. the best. I promise. Recently, they stopped coming to Lansing because it was too much trouble to make the weekly deliveries. Do you wonder why? That would be because they DEFINITELY use a buggy! I promise. I've seen it. Anyway, there was such an uproar that they're back! I'm not too proud to admit that I both spoke with a manager and wrote e-mails about the situation. Victory is mine. I'm currently devouring one of their powdered cinnamon donuts between clicks on my keyboard. bliss.

Rise 'n Roll Bakery... mmm, lecker
And NOW it's time for another DIY natural product tutorial. If you made last week's laundry  detergent then you should have nearly everything you need for this project. And hey, this project is EVEN EASIER! The only additional ingredients you need are citric acid, which can be found in most grocery stores right now (canning section) and epsom salt. 
If you didn't make the laundry soap (you should), here is what you'll need...

1. 2 cups Borax (available in the laundry section of Walmart)
2. 2 cups washing soda (again, laundry aisle)
3. 1/2 cup of epsom salt (usually with the muscle pain relief items)
4. 1/2 cup of citric acid


mix it all together!
Literally, put everything into a bowl and stir until well combined. Transfer it to a container of your choice (I usually get really cute ones from Marshalls/Homegoods/T.J.Maxx for $3 and then label them with a Sharpie paint pen). Use 1 tablespoon per load... you're done!



Odette, plotting destruction 

Some people choose to add essential oil (of the citrus variety) to this, but it doesn't appeal to me. All of the other ingredients were purchased for a total of $12.50, but you will have lots of extra for making several batches. Plus, as previously mentioned, the washing soda and borax can be used for the laundry detergent. Borax also has a zillion great uses around the house, as you can read here. My dishwasher requires dishes to be rinsed before they go in. If you're used to putting dishes directly into the dishwasher without rinsing first, I can't say what the performance will be since I've never tried it :)


So... go make it :) Personally, I have GOT to clean the kitchen and spend some time with Odette. She's hanging upside down from my leg warmers (no... definitely haven't changed out of my ballet clothes yet) and attacking me. She needs love. Annd, of course... I really need to decide what color I want to paint the chair for tomorrow's blog. Time is ticking!

 Bon chance! <3

*** UPDATE: Pay attention to whether or not you have hard/soft water. Soft water requires less detergent. Also, store bought detergents are full of fillers and this hasn't got any- so remember, you don't need to use a ton. If you use too much, your dishes will come out streaked. Also, you can add a rinsing agent (vinegar works well) if you continue to have that problem :)

Pin It




3 comments:

  1. Hi! I've been wanting to try this for awhile, but I can't find citric acid anywhere! I bought borax, washing soda, and epsom salt a few weeks ago. What do you think would happen if I left the citric acid out? I probably need it, huh? Or do you know of something I could substitute for citric acid that'd be easier for me to find?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi! I see people use lemon flavored kook-aid ALL THE TIME as a substitute :) Like 10-20 packets I'd say. It seems a little off to me, but I hear it works. I'm including a link to citric acid from Amazon for $3. It's an add-on item, so if you get $25 worth of goods it will ship for free :) http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Jar-Citric-Acid-7-5-Ounce/dp/B007CRHD4U/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1382535373&sr=8-3&keywords=citric+acid

      Delete

I love reading + responding to comments! Keep in mind that comments are moderated and spam will never be approved :)