Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Sopapilla Cheesecake (easy, fall-ish, revised version)

Word to the wise: read this now and on your way home, get the ingredients. You need this. There is no time to delay.
Ok, so that being said, this is not my original recipe, I saw it online. It looked incredible, but once I actually read the ingredients it seemed a little too unhealthy. I'm kind of crazy about health. Just a titch. So you can always count on me to make a recipe as healthy as possible. Now, I'm not going to pretend that this is suddenly healthy, but it is much, much more tamed down than the original. It's still really, really good. Sometimes I think we add fat and sugar just for fun, and I don't know that it actually enhances the recipe. I also gave it a fall-ish twist, since I am already getting myself ready for the next season! I love fall and all of the pumpkin-dishes, apple orchards (I hear this is a Michigan thing, so clearly I need to make a blog about it for the rest of you!), sweaters and smells that go with it.
So, for this delightfully delicious "cheesecake" you will need...

1. 1 package of crescent rolls
2. 1 package (8 oz) of neufchatel cheese (sometimes listed as 1/3 less fat cream cheese)
3. 1/3 c. of regular white sugar
4. 1/2 tsp. of vanilla (or almond!) extract
5. Brown sugar to sprinkle
6. Pumpkin pie spice to sprinkle (or a mixture of cinnamon, clove, nutmeg & ginger)
7. A very small amount of butter (refer to pics and recipe)


press 1/2 the dough into pan

First, preheat your oven to 350 and get out a pan. I used a cake pan because our square dish was dirty. There is no need to grease your pan of choice.

 Secondly, open the package of crescent rolls and divide it in half. Press the first half into the bottom of the pan until there are no more creases.

place extract, cheese and sugar in bowl

Next, combine the neufchatel cheese, sugar and vanilla/almond extract in a small bowl and stir. This will be a breeze if you allow the cheese to soften for 20ish minutes prior to beginning. I used a knife, but a spoon would be just as appropriate. Mix it well, til it's nice and creamy.

already good enough to eat!
Now, take the mixture and place it on top of the first dough layer. Spread, spread, spread!

pre-baked confection

Lastly, roll out the second half of dough to the appropriate shape (square or circular, depending on your pan of choice) and press til there aren't any creases. Place it on top of your cheese mixture. Sprinkle some brown sugar and spice mixture on top. Take a stick of butter and shave little pieces off to finish. You really don't need much butter, as you can see from my photo. Place the dish in the oven, wait 30 minutes and remove. It will smell like heaven, but it will be SUPER hot. Give it a few minutes to cool before diving in, though you don't need to eat the dish warm. In fact, I'm eating another serving from last night right now!

the final product!
Now, I realize that my chair was supposed to be the subject today, but it isn't quite ready. Unfortunately, the shade of paint we used dried stark white instead of cream. I was going to let it go, but I can't. It just doesn't work. SO, I'll write the blog today and get it all ready so that tomorrow morning when the chair has dried I can snap the final pictures and post!

Have a LOVELY day! Enjoy summer... warm weather is something to relish if you live in the northern states. If not, enjoy it anyway- each day is a gift :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading + responding to comments! Keep in mind that comments are moderated and spam will never be approved :)