Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Pumpkin-fest part 3- pumpkin seed popcorn!

This is the blog I've been excited about all week. I've never heard of or even thought of using pumpkin seeds to make popcorn!
I could not wait to do this.
Seriously.
However... one word describes this event: disaster.
I have never, ever seen such a smoke-filled apartment in my life. I couldn't even SEE! Thankfully I had the sense to run and shut the door to where Odette is. I can only imagine how quickly the smoke would have ended her. It nearly ended me! I'm *still* coughing.
First attempt at opening the pumpkin
However, I'm inclined to say that this was a user error, since I've never popped anything on the stove top before. I encourage you to give it a try and let me know how it worked! Or if you see the reason why it was such a huge failure, let me know.
My mom e-mailed this recipe to me and I didn't exactly follow it as listed. I added some flair, if you will.
Here's the original

2/3 cup fresh pumpkin seeds, washed with water and rinsed with warm ginger ale
2 tbs vegetable oil
2 tbs olive oil

Heat the oil in a steel pan, add the popcorn and cover. Allow to pop.

Finally hacked it open.
Here's what I did...

3/4 cup fresh pumpkin seeds, washed with water (definitely skipped the ginger ale)
3 tbs olive oil
2 tbs vegetable oil
1 tbs brown sugar
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice

Heat oil + sugar and spices, add popcorn and cover. Allow it to turn your home into a smokey, death-filled abyss.


happy seeds, before their demise

So what do you think? Should I have adhered to the original recipe? Do you see where this whole thing went amiss?

I've finished the rest of the projects for this week. They are DONE and SUCCESSFUL... phew! I'm thinking I'll take the pumpkin, chunk it up (pray for me... I've already sliced myself once with a knife this week, and that carving knife is WAY bigger!) and roast it for dinner. I'm all about the silver lining!

the charred remains.
 I'm about to head out as soon as I'm sure it isn't too dangerously smokey here anymore. I worked it out with the post office since the theft and they no longer deliver packages to our door, so I'm going to head over to get my new ballet leotard. We're only a few weeks into the fall classes and I've already put a hole in my slippers and a rip in my leotard! Sounds about right :)
I'm also going to visit a local farmer, he said I can come by any time for duck eggs and apples and I WILL be taking him up on that! Have a great day and thanks for reading! Check back tomorrow for some more pumpkin-fest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading + responding to comments! Keep in mind that comments are moderated and spam will never be approved :)