Thursday, October 20, 2011

Pumpkin-fest part 4- DIY Pumpkin Spice Latte!

After the catastrophic defeat of yesterday's blog, it's always nice to have something go well! Not to say that this was fantastic from the start, it was actually a long, experimental process. I don't even want to think of how much almond milk was poured down the drain. By the third trial, I switched to decaf so that I wouldn't be up all night :) However, eventually the right formula was found, and here it is!
I have to say, I've never actually purchased a Pumpkin Spice Latte. I can't bring myself to pay that much for coffee, even though I'm sure it's well worth it.
Hopefully this version is very similar, and for a fraction of the price. There's a lot of wiggle room involved since you may want more sugar or spice. I didn't use a ton of sugar, I never do. I routinely mention on this blog that you may find yourself wanting much more sweetness in a recipe. However, I can assure you that if you gradually taper down you'll discover that you won't need as much sugar any longer to get the same satiation. Yay!

So, you will need...
tools of the trade
1/2 cup of coffee (I suggest using a flavor such as vanilla or hazelnut)
3/4 cup almond milk (you could use any kind)
3/4 or 1 tbs of pumpkin puree, depending on preference
1/2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice
2 tsp of brown or natural sugar
1/2 tsp of almond extract (or vanilla, if you haven't got almond)
whipped cream and a shake of pumpkin pie spice to top it off
a milk frother (i got mine for $1.99 at Ikea)


frothing the ingredients, minus coffee
 STEP ONE:
If you like your latte to be hot, then heat your milk over the stove. Add the puree and froth it. Next add the spice, extract and sugar... froth again.

STEP TWO:
Add your coffee, froth again.

STEP THREE:
Cover in whipped cream and shake a little spice on.


STEP FOUR:Drink. Enjoy. Savor.

Everything, frothed
Pretty simple, right? The first time I made this, I couldn't figure out why it wasn't NEARLY pumpkin-y enough... and then I realized that I totally forgotten to put the pumpkin puree in! I was laughing pretty hard at myself. We've used a lot of canned puree this week already and tomorrow's blog calls for it as well. I'm thinking that you could make everything this week with ONE can of $1 pumpkin puree, which is pretty awesome.

Tomorrow is the last installment of Pumpkin-fest, though I'm considering a special edition on Saturday after dance. I hope you feel inspired to do some fun things with pumpkin this week, and love pumpkin just a little bit more :)




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading + responding to comments! Keep in mind that comments are moderated and spam will never be approved :)