Saturday, October 22, 2011

Pumpkin-fest (weekend edition!)- Pumpkin oatmeal bars

I like taking these bars with me to work. They're also really nice for early mornings when we're either out of almond milk (alas- no cereal!) or we haven't got time to eat.
They're super easy to make and they're pretty good. If I could re-do them again, I'd use more oats and less flour, which I've noted in the recipe. They also contain chopped apples and raisins, so they're pretty fruity :) They're also super healthy, there isn't much fat at all. There's definitely some sugar going on... but way less sugar than you'll find in the version at the store.

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups of oats*
1 1/4 cups of flour*
2 eggs
3/4 cups brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or a cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, ginger mix)
1 small box of raisins
1/2 cup of chopped/diced apples
3/4 cup of pumpkin puree
1/4 cup flax seeds (optional)

*I originally used 1.5 cups each of flour and oats, but I thought it was too chewy.

STEP ONE:
Mix together the eggs, brown sugar, salt, vanilla, spice(s) & baking soda. Next add in the puree and then the oats and flour. Lastly, stir in the raisins and apples.





STEP TWO:
Press the mixture into a greased (I used a misto with olive oil) 13x9 inch pan. I like to drizzle a little bit of honey on top and put a last sprinkling of cardamom on top before throwing it in the oven.
Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool and cut into 12 slices. Wrap individually with saran wrap and store for use!



Super short, but there isn't much time during the weekend! If you make any adjustments or try the version with a higher oat content, let me know how it works out!

1 comment:

  1. This looks good! I may try a variation on it. I LOVE pumpkin!

    Rachael
    The Smile Spot :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading + responding to comments! Keep in mind that comments are moderated and spam will never be approved :)