Wednesday, November 30, 2011

DIY Enhance Your Shower Curtain

I was scrolling through Pinterest (as usual) and saw a GORGEOUS bathroom. The part that really struck me, though, was the scripted shower curtain. It reminded me of one I had seen a while back and really loved. The curtain was around $100, but that is totally unnecessary! The same thing can be made with just a few materials...


1. A light colored shower curtain + the sharpie of your choice
2. A medium colored curtain + the paint marker of your choice
3. A black curtain + a white paint marker or a bleach pen


You can always use stencils, too. Our curtain was black so I opted to use the paint marker that we already had. You can get paint markers at any craft store, I usually have several on hand. Fabric paint would work as well, but I feel like the markers give a cleaner look. I would have liked to try bleach, so maybe that will be a future post.
Before :)
I laid our curtain on a piece of large cardboard and free handed a quote from my favorite book. I started with really large lettering and then made it smaller each line, creating a box effect. I did that to mirror the sentiment of the quote, but it would be really beautiful to use a smaller font (the last line of my quote) and scroll script from top to bottom and side to side, covering the entire curtain. I wish I had another to do again!
It took me about 3 coats to get the shade of light grey on our black curtain. The pen was actually white, and I could have given it a few more coats to make it more white, but that would have taken every last drop of ink. I liked the black/grey look. Using a lighter colored curtain would yield much easier results. How beautiful for a cream curtain with brown lettering?? I *wish* our second bathroom had a curtain!! Maybe I'll put a false curtain up :) 
finished, but not hung
Also, don't think only in terms of lettering, you could do anything! Trace a map or a large, bold flower... your imagination is your only limitation! If you have access to a printer and projector: print out the exact design you want on transparencies, tack your curtain to the wall, project your design on to your curtain and then trace it from there. I've traced several things that way. 
Our curtain was around $10 at target. Just think, for $10 plus the cost of a sharpie/paint/bleach pen you could really change the look of your bathroom.
I did mine without a plan and by hand, that's usually how I do everything here. I really don't enjoy planning anything like this out. 'Measure twice, cut once' should be, but is in fact NOT my motto. So, maybe you just want to go for it too, or maybe you'd rather use stencils or trace from a projector- you will definitely get better results- whatever you do, make it yours! I apologize again for the photo quality. Seriously. Start sending camera suggestions to 
me. 
If you live in the Lansing, Michigan area you definitely experienced the insanity of last night. It took me forever to get home. I work 17 miles from our apartment, but I left at 9:50 pm and got home after 11! Ahhh. It was harrowing. I'm venturing out again today. I have a drama rehearsal for a piece we'll be doing in a women's home this weekend. I also have to pick something up from Macy's. We had to sell all of our cookware/bakeware when we got Odette. There was so much we didn't know about birds before we got her and apparently the fact that nonstick kills them was one more unknown fact! I *finally* replaced it last night (after nearly 5 months!) with a deeply discounted stainless steel set from Macy's. The sales lady sold it to me last night, but kept it at the store til today. By doing that I was able to access a sale and get an additional 25% off... it was really exciting. If I love the set, I'll blog about it :) We've been making do with 3 pieces currently, two copper and one stainless. So far I really prefer cooking with them over nonstick, despite all the horror stories I heard about burning/sticking/scorching. Today is going to be a wonderful day for me, and I hope it will be for you as well. As always, thanks for reading!
*Note: yes, I do realize that I'm missing the "i" in Antoine... dyslexia is taking over!

TERMS OF USE (Modified from ISLY)

This project is free for personal use is not to be distributed/republished without my consent. If this inspires a project for your own blog, that is awesome! But please remember to link back to my original post. Please do not copy this text, use the images or steal this idea for any publications. Thanks for promoting the freedom to INSPIRE!


2 comments:

  1. Love it! What exactly is the text of your quote, though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! It says, "One only sees clearly with the heart, the essential is invisible to the eyes". It's a quote from my favorite book :)

      Delete

I love reading + responding to comments! Keep in mind that comments are moderated and spam will never be approved :)