Thursday, November 17, 2011

DIY Upcycling Sweaters

Have you ever wished you had taken the salesperson's advice? I have a series of sweaters from Express that I love. I started with one and ended up with 4 in different colors! But when I first tried it on in the fitting room, I decided I liked the larger size of two that I tried on. I thought it looked cool baggy. The lady running the fitting room saw me and insisted that I go down a size, but I refused. 
Well. She was right.
I dread wearing the first one I got (black, see left) because it looks soooo unappealingly huge.  I've mentioned before that for work, I have to wear all black. I'm really not into buying clothes for work, so I've been trying to repurpose what I already have. This is the first (and easiest!) piece that I'll show you. It is SO simple that I'm only showing one picture! 
So, if you have a sweater that is too huge (or you want to steal one from the man in your life!) you can definitely tailor it down to fit you. I really like sewing knits. 
As you can see, All I did was turn the sweater inside out and pin from bottom to top. Then, run it through your sewing machine (zig zag stitch), cut off the excess and you're done! My sleeves fit ok so I didn't need to trim them. If you discover that you need to trim yours then just keep pinning all the way to the tip of your sleeve. Remember  make a gradual turn along the underarm, you don't want any sharp edges, the sweater won't lay right. 
Today is (technically) my day off this week, but I've got a haircut, French lesson and ballet scheduled so I'm in quite a rush! I'll keep it short and sweet. I also want to stop off at the goodwill in town to find a certain black item that can be turned into a dress.
Have a great day and as always, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading + responding to comments! Keep in mind that comments are moderated and spam will never be approved :)