Tuesday, November 15, 2011

'la vie' announcement!

Today is announcement day! 
Are you ready?
I guess it isn't that big of a deal for you... but it is for me ;)
Those of you who know me well know that I already have an astounding number of food allergies (dairy, eggs, rice, iron... the list goes on...), but this past Saturday I got some news that apparently I'm also gluten intolerant. 
The dreaded moment of my life.
My (beloved) sister was diagnosed with Celiac disease nearly 10 years ago. I have watched her for years now and been so sad for her. A life without bread and pasta seems no life at all. I just *knew* down in my heart, though, that someday I'd have to join her.
That day has come.
I don't know if I can really stress enough my love affair with all things wheat. I absolutely love all of it. In fact, because of my other allergies, I subsided mostly on bread. However, as sad as this diagnosis is, it isn't nearly as grim as it could be. When my sister was taken away from the wonderful world of wheat, there were ZERO options for her. None. Now there is a plethora of gluten-free products to choose from! It's a much better time now.
So, what does this mean for 'la vie'? Well, from now on the cooking/baking aspect of my blog will be centered around this. 'la vie' is gluten-free, baby! I'm really excited to try my hand at baking and cooking without gluten. Here you'll be able to find which stores carry which products and for what price. I'll also provide delicious options (scones, anyone?) and I'm currently working on a pizza dough recipe that you can make for yourself! For those of you who can still eat bread (jealous.), I'll be sure to include the original recipe before it was de-glutenified. 
So- that's my news!
Today is short and sweet... it is a GORGEOUS day outside and I want to take a bike ride when John gets home! That means I need to get this house in order before then ;) 
Enjoy your day and thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. Hooray! Even more excited to read "La Vie" now that it's GF and I can use the recipes. I have no doubt you'll revolutionize GF cooking/baking:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so supportive! thank you! hopefully I can use you as a test subject??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also allergic to wheat and I've found that it's not too hard to stay away from...not sure if you like fried chicken, but if you do or even if you don't, I've found that using rice flour (with whatever seasonings you like, I prefer salt, pepper and a little cayenne pepper) is a fantastic breading option for anything that you want to fry. It browns nicely, crisps beautifully, tastes fantastic and best of all....doesn't upset my stomach!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading + responding to comments! Keep in mind that comments are moderated and spam will never be approved :)