Monday, January 16, 2012

DIY Glass Etching, Part 2: French Cake Stand

Last week in the middle of my BLOG ABOUT GLASS ETCHING, I ran into a door frame and got extremely jumbled! I wasn't able to finish the last project, which actually inspired the entire blog, and promised to do it later.
Today is later.
My best friend, Steph, and I saw a cake stand at Homegoods while we were out shopping one day. I can't remember if it said "Le Gâteau " or "Les Gâteaux", but I knew I needed it. A French cake stand??? Yes! And that was when I was trying to run my French bakery, so it really made sense. It was too expensive and I already owned 3 cake stands at the time, so I had to pass. When I saw my mom's Armour Etch, it was time to make my French cake stand dream a reality! I decided to go with "Le Gâteau" which is singular (cake, instead of cakes) and I love how it turned out. 
Paper clipped & traced
In my original post I gave tons of different ways to get the job done, so please click the link if you're interested in methods that don't involve contact paper, though I really enjoy using it. I mentioned in the first post that I bought a different sort of paper because I didn't want to use the Martha Steward kind that cost $9.99 for a very small amount. I'm happy to report that I got a roll of regular contact paper 5x larger than Martha's at Target for 5.79! Yay! I also like standard contact paper better than hers anyway because it's clear (Martha's is blue) so it makes tracing a snap.
Negative space cut away
Here are the steps...
(1) Trace the design you'd like on to your contact paper. I paper clipped my lettering to the contact paper and then used a sharpie. It worked out really well. 
(2) Cut the negative space out using an Xacto knife. I actually ended up cutting it differently than the template/how I had traced it. I decided to make it a bit more funky, inspired by vintage French posters.
(3) Peel & sick. Peel the contact paper off of it's backing and apply it to your glass. Press out all of the edges so there aren't any bubbles or gaps. You don't want the cream to seep and create a messy line. Nice clean edges. Also, you'll notice that I had to apply the center of the "A"s as well. 
(4) Use a brush to apply a (very) thick coat of Armour Etch cream. If you're looking to buy some, look on amazon.com. I was at Michael's yesterday and the price nearly floored me (there was a $30 bottle!), I was sooo glad my mom had an old bottle at her house and I didn't have to buy it. I checked at amazon.com, though, and they were around $6-8.
lay it on thick ;)
(5) Let it sit for 10 minutes.
(6) Wash off the cream in the sink and take the contact paper off. Dry it... ta da! Remember to be careful with the cream, it's an acid so you really don't want it coming in contact with your skin. 
My favorite person in the world is having a birthday this week and wants me to bake him a cake. That means on GF Friday this week you'll hopefully get a recipe for a birthday cake as well as see pictures of this little beauty being employed. I bet she'll look even better housing a cake! 
I hope you've had a great Monday so far and that this week exceeds all of your expectations for greatness! Have a wonderful afternoon and as always, thanks for reading. 
Oh! Ps, I ordered all of the supplies to make DIY all natural solid perfume (I can't use a spray with Odette). I'm hoping they'll arrive in time for this week!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading + responding to comments! Keep in mind that comments are moderated and spam will never be approved :)