Tuesday, January 17, 2012

DIY: Salt Dough Clay (for kids!)

Today was going to be a really exciting surprise blog for 'la vie', but there was some sort of issue and I needed to stay with some little people all day. So, I'm blogging on location! Stay tuned for a very cool, super fun blog coming up, though.
Instead, I thought I'd give you a peek at what the little people and I are doing today. Aside from raiding the library, turning the princess room into a fort and general fun-ness, we made salt dough.
Salt dough clay is super easy and very fun for kids. Kids really get a kick out of making things for themselves. My mom, who is a whiz with 3-5 year olds, routinely used to make salt dough clay with her class and it was always a bit hit. The best part is that you can color it however you'd like and either store it in a jar/bag for continual use OR you can bake it like a sculpture. 
Here's the recipe:
Yellow 
1 c. flour
3/4 c. salt
1/4 c. water
1/4 c. cooking oil
food coloring of choice (optional)


Green
Mix the salt, flour and oil together until it's solid. If you're only making one color then add the food coloring to the water and then mix them in together (this will make it much easier to color). If you're dividing it (like I did) add the water and then form your dough (knead by hand). Divide it up, make an impression in the center, add your drops of coloring in and knead until it's distributed evenly. 


Pink
That's it! It's definitely not difficult. As I said before, you can sculpt it into something and then bake it (300 degrees, for 1 to 2 hours) or you can store it in a jar or ziplock bag to keep playing with it later. 


Well, I have a bunny & princess crown in the oven + three excited kids who are ready to PLAY! So that's all I have time for today. Maybe I'll update later with pictures of how the creations looked once baked. Have a wonderful day and as always, thanks for reading!


Oh- ps! A great snack is a piece of cheese + an apple slice + some lunch meat rolled up. I could eat 15 a day! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading + responding to comments! Keep in mind that comments are moderated and spam will never be approved :)