Friday, January 20, 2012

GF Cinnamon Cake + Almond Buttercream

Bonjour and greetings from a little cafe! I'm blogging from location again as my schedule doesn't allow me to go home and my love for ''la vie'' doesn't allow me to skip week days! Today's blog was inspired by my very favorite person in the world. My husband, John, is the most incredible man I know and  as our save the date's said, "whatever souls are made of, his and mine are the same".
In celebration of his wonderful day, I made him his favorite dinner and a cake. He chose everything he wanted and then I created it. He asked for a cinnamon cake with almond buttercream and I think both turned out really well. For the cake, I definitely haven't perfected my own GF cake recipes, so I used Bob's Red Mill mix as a base and then added in some goodness. The frosting came quite easily as I've been making buttercream frosting for years and really enjoy flavoring it. 


Cinnamon cake batter
RECIPE:
Bob's Red Mill GF Vanilla Cake Mix
Substitute butter for oil
1 tbs cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract


Follow the recipe as stated, adding in extract and spices with the butter at the beginning with the eggs and putting the mix in last. I really love the way this batter looked. The cinnamon really changed the look of it, plus it smelled amazing. It was glorious baking this in the oven. 
I baked mine as two 9 inch rounds, cooled them for 15 minutes in the pans and then inverted them on to baking racks. After they were cooled completely I frosted them. 
crushed almonds


FROSTING:
3 c. confectioners sugar
1 c. sweet cream, unsalted butter
2 tsp almond extract
1/2 c. almonds, crushed
1-2 tbs whipping cream (can substitute milk)


Cream softened butter & sugar together. Add in extract and almonds. Add liquid as needed to get proper consistency. 
mmm... buttercream
Buttercream is one of my very favorite things. I've never been a huge fan of fondant and most other frosting types don't appeal to me either. However, I've never met a buttercream that I didn't love. The best part is that they're relatively hard to mess up. In this version, I used actual almonds that I crushed and added in. I liked the texture that it added to the frosting as well as the cake. For some reason it made it look more wholesome and I didn't feel as guilty about eating multiple slices. 


I also made him GF Chicken Fried Rice. You may not have known it, but most Asian food has gluten in it. Soy sauce is generally packed. I may post the recipe next week for GF Friday. It was delicious and wayyyy healthier than the stuff you'll get at a restaurant or frozen section. 
In other birthday news, John and I are heading over to the other side of the state this weekend to be with family and hit up Ikea. We used to go all the time, but now we aren't anywhere close to one, so this is pretty exciting stuff for us. I can't wait to see what we come back with! 
I'm really looking forward to next week. I have tons of great ideas ... and a special surprise arrives in the mail. I can hardly wait to use it! It will change the way I blog.
If you haven't heard yet, 'la vie' is working with a local artist to create a custom logo. I'm thrilled about the changes that are happening with 'la vie' and the new ways you'll be able to connect with me as well as access our posts.
Lastly, if you like the custom cake stand featured here, make your own by CLICKING HERE.
Have a great day, I'm happy to celebrate my husband's 28th birthday, even from afar! As always, thanks for reading! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading + responding to comments! Keep in mind that comments are moderated and spam will never be approved :)