Friday, January 6, 2012

GF Friday: Cabbage Salad + Avocado Dressing

I made this the other day as a side for John and myself. 
I absolutely loved it!
I'm really into avocado lately (it goes in EVERYTHING!) because of the whole GF thing. I ate gluten with every meal, and now I never feel satisfied. I'm reaching for new sources of healthy fats and protein to fill the void and avocado has been a life saver in that regard.
I apologize for the lack of pictures, but this wasn't ever intended to be a blog. It was more of an experiment. But since it was good, it shall be shared. 
Ingredients:
3-4 c. cabbage, washed and chopped
1 ripe avocado, half cubed and half mashed
1 tomato, cubed
1/4 c. olive oil
1/4 c. white wine vinegar
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 garlic clove, minced (or pressed)
Salt + pepper to taste


For the salad, combine the cabbage with the cubes of tomato and avocado. For the dressing, combine the oil, mashed avocado, vinegar, spices, lemon juice and garlic. Mix til well blended. Toss with the salad.
You don't see tomatoes in the picture and that's because John can be picky about tomatoes. He likes them in moderation, so I often omit them when cooking for the two of us.
It's very light and fresh tasting, but the healthy fat makes it satiating. I really can't wait to eat it again. I tried the other day, but both of the avocados we had were spoiled :/ that's what happens when you hoard them! 
I know this is a super short post today, but I had to make up for the zillion insanely long ones that have been posted this week. Be sure to check in next week, I have a great line up! All natural deodorant (it has been in testing!), art techniques, sewing projects... it's going to be fun! I hope you have a wonderful day, it is BEAUTIFUL here! 50 degrees in January? I almost don't know how to react. All the best and as always, thanks for reading. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading + responding to comments! Keep in mind that comments are moderated and spam will never be approved :)