Friday, January 13, 2012

GF Friday: Cinnamon Brown Sugar Buttercream

Back when I was trying to run "la petite patisserie", I used several of my favorite buttercream recipes to spruce up cupcakes. I've found that when it comes to cakes, some are cake people and some are frosting people. I fall into the latter category. Generally, for me, frosting makes or breaks the cake. I don't like to divulge secrets like this, but since it's clear that my bakery-owing days are over, I can do that now. Unless I open up a GF bakery? Oh well. 
This morning I was hanging out with four year old twins and they really wanted to make cupcakes, so we whipped up some cinnamon vanilla cupcakes with cinnamon brown sugar buttercream. Yum. Usually when I present a recipe, I want it to look perfect. In this case, the frosting didn't turn out as beautifully (or go on as smoothly) as it does when I make it in my kitchen and use my lovely piping bags. That's ok. I thought my assistants were pretty talented none-the-less!
INGREDIENTS:
2.5-3 c. confectioners sugar (depending on the humidity)
1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
1 c. sweet cream, unsalted butter softened
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1-2 tbs whipping cream (sub with dairy or non-dairy options as needed)


RECIPE:
Whisk together butter and sugar. Mix on low til well blended. Once blended (the sugar has ceased to fly out of the bowl...) increase the speed to medium and beat for 3 minutes. Add extract & cinnamon, mix in. Add cream in as needed to get the proper consistency, beat again for one minute. 


The frosting is really thick, similar to my peanut buttercream. It looks best applied with a bag or just smeared on in a haphazard way. I suggest putting the bag into a mug, folding the edges of the bag over the mug (like you do with a trash bag and trash can) and then scooping the frosting into the bag for use. Yay! 
Time to clean the house! I'm still so behind from Thursday. This weekend should provide some time to catch up, though. I hope you have a wonderful weekend, we'll see you back here on Monday. As always, thanks for reading! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading + responding to comments! Keep in mind that comments are moderated and spam will never be approved :)