Friday, February 3, 2012

GF Friday: Baked Fries, Baby!

Just a super short blog from me today, you may as well call me Speed Racer, I'm all over the place! 
I wanted to highlight America's favorite vegetable today, the french fry (which is kind of sad...). Believe it or not, so many companies sneak gluten into such a wide array of food that even some french fries from very famous restaurant chains contain gluten. Whether or not you have a gluten intolerance, making your own fries is a good idea. They're just as yummy and aren't loaded down with fat. Guilt free? Why, yes. They are.
I was inspired my Martha Stewart's baked Italian fries, but when I read the recipe, I realized that they actually weren't healthy at all, despite being touted as so. When you cover anything with oil and then slather it with butter, it loses all nutritional value. Or rather, the value gets cancelled out. I revised her recipe... entirely... except for the bake time and temperature and I think it came out very well. 
Here's what you'll need...
Russet potatoes (as many as you'd like, I'd say one medium or two small per person)
Salt
Pepper
Grated cheese (optional- I used apple smoked gouda and it was amazing)
Olive oil
Garlic
(1) Rinse and slice. Rinse your potatoes and then slice them. I kept mine thick (as you can see) so they were kind of steak fry-ish. They start to brown if you leave them out, so feel free to drop them into a bowl of cold water as you slice them. Be sure to blot them/dry them before placing them on the pan.


(2) Season them. Spray your pan with non-stick (I use a misto of olive oil) and then lay our fries out. Season them with pepper, salt + some garlic olive oil. If you're using a misto, this is tricky. You can always sprinkle powdered garlic on top. If not, place your olive oil in a bowl with a pressed garlic clove and let it sit for 15 min to 1 hour (fridge). Dip your brush into the oil and roll it over the fries, but don't coat them. Dry season (pepper, salt, etc.) last.


(3) Cheese them. This is optional, but soooo good. It does fatten them right up again, though! Grate the cheese of your choice (again, smoked apple gouda...) over the fries until they're as yummy as you'd like.


(4) Bake them. Pop them in the oven for 45 minutes at 400 degrees. Rotate them halfway through. If you notice that they're golden brown before then, feel free to take them out earlier. Also, if you slice them too thin, they will crisp to an oblivion. Bigger slices = better. Unless you love them crispy :)
They're so easy and really so good. I liked them plain and cheesy, but John liked his with ketchup. Take a chance and try them out! Imagine, you could dip these in sour cream... that would be so incredible. Mmm. And you could add bacon. It's like a loaded potato in fry form. My mouth is salivating.
I hope you've had an awesome Ruffle Your Feathers week with me! I realize that GF Friday kind of puts a kink in the whole ruffle party, but it's important to eat, too! I wish you the most incredible weekend, and as always, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading + responding to comments! Keep in mind that comments are moderated and spam will never be approved :)