Friday, February 24, 2012

GF Friday: Broccoli (Mac &) Cheese + DIY Kitchen 4

Welcome to another edition of GF Friday! For those of you who *are* able to consume wheat and what not, you can simply substitute regular shell pasta noodles.
So keep reading ;)
Although, we get a lot of whacky gluten in our western diet, so every now and then it isn't a bad idea to go GF and limit your intake. Just a thought.
My inspiration for this recipe came from the soup, which incidentally, I dislike. However, there's a warming quality to it which seems super appealing. When I think of it, I think of being warm and snuggled. And on a particularly cold day, when being warm and snuggled sounded divine... I created this!
The ingredients are simple (extra large single serving)...


1.5 c. (uncooked) GF Rice Shells (meijer/walmart/target all sell rice pasta shells)
1 c. broccoli
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese*
2 tbs sour cream
1 clove garlic, minced/pressed
1 tsp GF soup base- chicken flavored**
salt + pepper to taste
Onion powder (optional)


* Feel free to mix it up with the cheese. I tried 1/2 Smoked Applewood Gouda + half Aged Cheddar... amazing. Remember, fresh blocks of cheese that you grate yourself will be 90x better!
** Non-gf can substitute a bouillon cube. Any GF bouillon substitute will work. 
Cook pasta according to the directions. Meanwhile, combine cheese, sour cream & garlic. Set aside. Overcook your broccoli until it is SUPER tender/mushy. Once the pasta is done, drain, return to pan & add all remaining ingredients to the pasta pan and stir. The cheese & broccoli will melt together with everything else. Add salt & pepper to taste.
Enjoy!
I am definitely craving some right now. I have a full day today, otherwise I'd be home making it! 
Next, let's continue our DIY kitchen series about customizing apartment kitchens. One of the greatest changes I made for our cookie-cutter kitchen was adding a rug. It took us a long time to find one we liked, but the difference is incredible. Plus, it's much nicer to walk on the area rug than the cold tiles in the early, frigid Michigan mornings!
If you're worried about staining, don't. Ours is black & white (which is surprisingly forgiving) and has no stains. We've had the rug down for a year and I cook AT LEAST once per day, usually twice. I've spilled things on it plenty of times, but they always come right out! Test it out and see how much warmer and more inviting your kitchen becomes.
Just a little baby post for today! I'm already gearing up and excited for another week of 'la vie'. I hope you have a brilliant weekend- look for a bonus post tomorrow or Sunday about my sweet new ink & our Valentine's Day celebration of goodness.
As always, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading + responding to comments! Keep in mind that comments are moderated and spam will never be approved :)