Monday, February 6, 2012

Skirt Refashion!

So, last week I posted a RUFFLE WRAP SKIRT that I made from fabric scraps. Some of the scraps were from our wedding and the rest were from a skirt that I had recently cut up. THIS is the remainder of that skirt. (Ps- even if you aren't a ballerina- keep reading!)
Last week was an exceptionally busy Thursday and I couldn't find my little ballet wrap skirt. Most of the girls in my class don't even wear a skirt ... but I *always* do. Always. 
I need the stinking skirt.
I couldn't go without, so I decided to see what I had on hand. I keep a bag of "to donate" clothes in my craft room to be refashioned. If I can't refashion them within a certain amount of time, they get donated. In the bag was this really great pleated coral skirt from Express. I got it like a thousand years ago and never wear it anymore. It has gone out of style. However, the fabric was really cool and I thought immediately that it would be perfect as a ballet skirt. This was literally the easiest refashion *ever*. I honestly didn't expect it to go so well, but half of the girls in my class immediately complimented me on my "new skirt". Perhaps they were just excited to see me in something other than my black wrap, but still! You don't have to be a ballerina to use this technique, though. It applies to any skirt you own! Keep reading...
*before* I chopped it up
When I was in  London, all of the super adorable/ballerina-inspired/causal chic girls spoke to me. Everywhere I looked, there were girls with short, flowing skirts over leggings (paired with a little tucked in tank + cardi & flats). I loved them. I wanted to be one of them.
Now I can!
And so can you.
Fray Check applied & drying!
Just take any skirt you own and don't really wear (a lightweight, flowing material works best) and make it over. Cut the length down a little bit at a time, you can always take away more but it's harder (thought not impossible!) to add back on. Next either hem it up or use Fray Check. So get out your scissors and make yourself an adorable Spring look!
Another cool thing I could have done? It would have easily made an adorable tube top. I'd still have to cut it down a bit, but I could have hiked it up and then belted it in to create a breezy summer top. If you have an elasticized skirt, that's another option. Depending on how stretchy it is, you may have to take it in a bit at the top to keep it from falling. Maybe I'll chop up another skirt for that tutorial.
Actually, I already have one in mind.
My studio... just because it's gorgeous
That's all from me today! My staple gun is out of staples and I want to go get some more. I'm in the middle of about 5 or 6 crafts over here and they must be finished for this week! Wishing you all the best and as always, thanks for reading!
Ps- soon (next week!) there is going to be a massive giveaway beginning. Lots of winners! So get ready and keep your eyes open! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading + responding to comments! Keep in mind that comments are moderated and spam will never be approved :)