Friday, March 16, 2012

GF Friday: Baked Avocado Fries

What a perfect Spring day.
I have very much enjoyed the extremely warm weather, but today is especially Spring-ish. The sun is out and shining, the weather is mild, but there is a cool breeze and the air is a bit wet. It's perfectly Springly and I love it.
Last week I was to post these GF nuggets of goodness, but alas, I did not. I can't remember what happened, but if you're really concerned feel free to go back and look. I probably wrote an explanation for my tardiness :)
These were pretty good, John really loved them. If I had to make one change, I would make the slices smaller. Other than that they were great. I've mentioned a few times that avocado has become a staple for me. With all of my food allergies, my doctor specifically recommended that I eat more avocado, which I readily took her up on!
I saw a FRIED version of these as well as a BAKED sort on pinterest and really wanted to eat them. However, I can't eat flour :( So here it's a GF version! It's really simple, too.

You'll need...
2 Eggs
1/2 - 1 cup of Cornmeal/corn crumbs
1/4 c. Bob's Red Mill GF All Purpose Baking Flour
1 clove of garlic, pressed
Seasonings of your choice (pepper, salt, paprika, basil, etc.)
Shredded cheese (optional, but wouldn't  a little parm be awesome??)
2-4 avocados
(1) Mix it. In a medium bowl, mix the eggs, flour, garlic and seasonings together. Place the cornmeal in another medium bowl and set aside.
(2) Slice it. Slice your avocado into fry shapes. I halved mine and then sliced strips into it while the avocado remained in it's peel. When I had finished, I turned it inside out and the little pieces just fell perfectly on to the board! You'll have to use avocados which aren't super ripe, ps... otherwise it's just too mushy.
(3) Batter it. Using your hands or a fork (hands work better...) dip your avocado into the egg mixture. Cover it really well and then dip it into the bowl containing the cornmeal/crumbs. Once it's covered, set it on a well greased cooking sheet.
(4). Bake it. If you want to top yours with cheese, now is the time! Then throw the cookie sheet into the oven at 450 for 25 minutes (30 if they aren't golden brown yet... mine were a little undercooked).


I also made an spontaneous but realllyyy yummy guacamole with the extra avocado, which I actually ended up dipping the avocado fries in. I wonder what else they'd taste good with? Probably ranch. Let's be honest. I may share that guac recipe soon-ish, because it was so easy but so tasty. Plus, I'm sure it's cheaper than the (preservative laden, non-food containing...) ready made guacamole in the store. 
In other news it is ALMOST THE WEEKEND! After 2 pm tomorrow, I won't have any real responsibilities again for the rest of the night. Isn't that exciting? It is to me. This will be my first Saturday at home (mostly) in a really, really long time. 
I hope your weekend is jam packed with beautiful, sunny activities. I wish you all the best and as always, thanks for reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading + responding to comments! Keep in mind that comments are moderated and spam will never be approved :)