Friday, April 20, 2012

DIY Trench Refashion (sew + no sew)


I started this project earlier in the week and called on the readers to weigh in. This is the final (for now...) result! I love trench coats because they're so classic- I've had this one for TEN years and it's never gone out of style. I probably own 5 or 6 at least. The only issue with this trench is that because I've had it for so long, the lapels are a bit stained and definitely showing signs of wear. I decided to cover them in lace. SO stinking cute. You can do this with any old lace you have laying around (table cloth, old clothes, whatever) or you could use any fabric that speaks to you. I know that brights are SUPER hot for spring. It only takes a few minutes to complete the entire project and it is time well spent!

(1) Cut it. Cut lace out in the approximate shape.

(2) Glue it. Using fabric hot glue, glue the lace down over the lapel. Glue along the edges and go in stages so that the glue doesn't dry before you get to it. This will give you the best hold. If you have a sewing machine, it's a better option to pin the lace in place and run it through a sewing machine, and then trim it. 
(3) Trim it. Trim it down to the perfect shape. I left an edge of lapel around my lace. It was necessary so that the lace didn't bend/do weird things while being worn. It lays more naturally on a flat surface than a curved one.
Whenever gluing lace, I always recommend using a thimble to push the hot glue into the lace, that will prevent your fingers from glue burns :)
Easy, right? Basically all tutorials and refashions I do are easy. I like to find the shortest route so that there's plenty of time left for the most important parts of life. 
I hope you enjoy it! Check out my other refashion and feel free to follow on FACEBOOK. We have a giveaway for our facebook fans every month :) 

4 comments:

  1. I am so glad I found this blog and are following via GFC!! Great inspiration and DIY projects!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! I'm so glad you found it, too :) feel free to weigh in any time, I love connecting!

      Delete
  2. Hi! This is an amazing tute, thank you! Do you remember where you got that particular trench? I've been looking and can't find any that aren't super long or super boxy looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it! I have a massive trench coat collection (coats in general. Coat fetish right here) and the 4 trenches that I wear most, including this one, are all from Old Navy. :) Happy hunting!

      Delete

I love reading + responding to comments! Keep in mind that comments are moderated and spam will never be approved :)