Thursday, May 31, 2012

DIY Framed Chalkboard Menu Planner

Alright. 
I did it.
I haven't done a lot with chalkboard paint because it's kind of a craft trend. I try to avoid blogging craft trends since they're hard to make original and also they kill everything. I never, ever in my wildest dreams thought I could be annoyed by nutella. I'm pretty sure I subsided on it for the entirety of every Euro Adventure I've had. 
And yet... when (another) recipe comes down the line on Pinterest that (oh! what a shock!) features nutella... my stomach does an involuntary turn. 
However, my mom bought me this super cute pink chalkboard paint and I really like it. Plus, John has been asking me to create a meal plan organizer for MONTHS now. He really objects to my way of doing things, which is clearly superior.
It goes like this..
a) Realize we need to eat something for dinner.
b) Get an elaborate idea in my head.
c) Make a beeline for the grocery store.
d) See all sorts of other delicious items.
e) Leave with a $100's worth of groceries.
f) Repeat. The next day.
What?! So it's a *little* bit hard on the budget...  
Ok, so the boy has a point.


Anyway- that's where this came from. I had an extra $3 frame leftover from my DIY photo wall and tons of yellow paint. That meant it was technically a free project, which is of course my favorite kind.
Holla!
It was extremely easy, and if you buy Krylon Chalkboard Spray Paint you can paint the glass directly and get a better finished project. I can't do that because mine was in a jar. Most chalkboard paint that comes in a jar will only stick to porous surfaces.
That begin said, I used a piece of card stock which turned out surprisingly well? Two coats. It went like this...
(1) Cut it. I cut out a piece of card stock using the glass as a stencil.
(2) Paint it. I painted on 2 coats of the chalkboard paint to the card stock (allowing to dry for an hour in between) and 3 coats of yellow acrylic on to my frame.


(3) Flatten it. Once the card stock has dried, it'll curl up. So flatten in for 24 hours under some crazy heavy books. Coincidently, the chalkboard paint needs to cure for 24 hours, so it works out well.
(4) Finish it. Decorate the frame, add some embellishment to the chalkboard (I considered writing 'Menu' at the top in black chalkboard paint) ... whatever. Then stick it back in the frame (putting all backing materials in as well, including the glass if you didn't paint that) and hang it up! I only had giant sidewalk chalk, so the handwriting on my finished project is... entertaining. Also- I manhandled it while finishing the project, so half of the chalk got erased! Do forgive. 


I can't wait to do this again with a much larger frame as another way of organizing. I'd like to write out what the week holds for la vie and make a list of necessary supplies, etc. Vive organization! What's your favorite way to organize? I need to hear it, because the smaller the space, the larger the need for organized living!
I hope you're having an awesome day, and as always, thanks for

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading + responding to comments! Keep in mind that comments are moderated and spam will never be approved :)