Tuesday, May 15, 2012

A Dream Fulfilled

Bear with me as I channel my inner Tangled. "Have you ever had a dream?!", Rapunzel yells to the crowd of thugs standing between her and her ticket to a front row view of the floating lanterns. I've had several dreams, I think life is one series of dream after dream. At least it should be... if you aren't stretching toward something, life seems a little aimless, purposeless and a bit useless.
Christine and I speaking with our director, Natalie (the most beautiful of dancers!)
Some of my dreams are more serious than others, but I would consider all of them important. The dream I'm highlighting today isn't life-or-death, but for me, it's huge.
I want to be a ballerina.
Not a prima, I don't want to tour the world, pirouetting my way across European and American stages... I just want to find my way through Pointe and be able to tell my grandchildren that once, I was a ballerina.
This is a dream in progress. I started as a very tiny little girl (2 or 3) who so desperately wanted to take dance classes. My sweet, sweet mother actually sewed the costumes for EVERY CHILD in my class as a way to pay for tuition. Talk about dedication. I took ballet, jazz and dance til I was about 8.
And then it happened.
I'm kind of flighty. I have the tendency to jump from thing to thing. I've learned to reign it in over the last decade... life is too short and if I don't focus on what's actually attainable, I won't have anything to show for my time or money! But as a child... I was restless. 
I decided I wanted to quit dance to play soccer...
So, my mom enrolled me in soccer.
I stunk.
I mean, I was really... really bad. I was worse than the kid picking daisies in the middle of the field (though I *did* spend a good portion of my time doing that...) because I actually made my team do WORSE. At the end of the year, I was the *only* one who had never once scored a goal. I don't think I'd really done much of anything.
Next was gymnastics, I was actually good at that... but I'm sure I found a way to make it boring.
Then came drums.
It was never ending.
But I always regretted quitting my dance lessons. My mom took me to the ballet a few times each year and my little heart would ache watching the ballerinas, so graceful, float across the stage. 
Finally... finally... I enrolled in classes last summer. I took a mixture of private and corporate classes over the summer and then a full-time class starting in the fall. We had our recital this past weekend and for the first time as an adult, I got to be a ballerina.
I'm sprinkling pictures throughout this post that my husband, mom and co-ballerina (Christine- you're awesome!) took. 
I discovered that the joy of ballet is in the practice for me. I enjoyed our recital, but not nearly as much as I *love* our classes. The ladies I study with are beautiful, brilliant, dedicated and FUN! I'm already missing class and I can't wait to start up again.
 This is just the beginning for ballet... just a tiny little part. But it was a mini-dream fulfilled inside of a larger dream.
And I couldn't be more excited.
Thanks so much for taking a peek into my little world of tulle + slippers... and for celebrating with me. And as always, thanks for reading. 
Oh- and I have to ask... what's your dream? I'd LOVE to hear!



9 comments:

  1. I loved your ladies performance. It only took backseat to my daughters, but for obvious reasons, I am biased.:) It was my favorite of all the performances, and I just loved the song choice, too. Follow that dream, if that's where God is leading your heart....You ladies were great! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thank you so much! It was an incredible night, I really believe in the mission of JubalArts :)

      Delete
  2. I've always wanted to be a ballerina, too! I never got to do dance lessons as a little kid, but I'm getting to take some classes at my college, and it's very much a dream come true. Glad to know I'm not the only one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad, too! C.S. Lewis said, "Friendship is born the moment one man says to another, 'what, you too? I thought I was the only one!" :) I wish you MUCH success in your balletic endeavors! We'll have to update each other now and then :)

      Delete
    2. Indeed! I'm actually going to have the chance to perform in a short piece my theatre group is doing over the summer; I'll have to let you know how it goes. Very glad your recital went so well. :)

      Delete
    3. Please do fill me in! And if you have a youtube vid or something, I'd love to see it :)

      Delete
  3. I MADE THE BLOG. [in a picture at least] you were great! classes this summer?

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I MADE THE BLOG. [in a picture at least] you were great! classes this summer?

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, girl! I'd love to take classes, it just depends on what time they're at. If they're between the hours of 6a and 5p, I'm out of luck :/

      Delete

I love reading + responding to comments! Keep in mind that comments are moderated and spam will never be approved :)