Thursday, May 17, 2012

Health Edition: Sugar Study

It literally *pains* me to write this.
Give me chocolate confections of grand proportions.
Give me sweet, filled cupcakes topped with mounds of frosting.
Give me perfectly baked sugar cookies + royal icing, covered in dragees + sprinkles.
Give me ice cream, cinnamon sugar cider mill doughnuts, skittles, macaroons, meringues chantilly filled with cream cheese + berry sauce, honey *anything*... I love sugar.
And I also hate it.
My love/hate relationship with sugar is well documented. I absolutely LOVE to eat it, but I absolutely HATE what it does to my body. It's my drug of choice, and I'm only *half* kidding when I say that... So, my general MO has been to binge and purge. One month I'll eat sugar like some sweet toothed addict, all but directly injecting it into my veins and then the next month it's banished from my presence entirely. 
Unfortunately, as life goes on, it's becoming increasingly clear that I need to get my sugar issues under control. I've been doing a lot of reading about sweet, sweet sugar (in all of it's wonderful forms) lately and the more I read, the more it scares me. I've always known from my own body how sugar effects me in the ways that I could obviously see, but digging a little deeper is horrifying!
We've been trying to make an intentional cut from sugar in our house but it's a rough process. Besides avoiding the obvious (candy, cakes, cookies... you know, everything that tastes good), sugar is hidden in almost everything you eat. 
I mean, everything.
I've always known that, but I didn't realize just how much it adds up. I can get almost my entire daily allowance just from my morning cereal.
Bummer. 
I love cereal.
But seriously, start reading your labels... I mean, why in the world is sugar in BREAD?! A couple of grams in every slice. I honestly went through a zillion loaves at the store a few days ago and couldn't find any sugar-free bread for John's lunch. Time to start making my own again,
Bah.
In all of my personal experience, I can say for sure that sugar is NOT your friend. Do you want clearer skin? Do you want more energy? Do you want to lose weight? Do you want a well-functioning immune system? Cut out the sugar. It goes wayyy beyond the stern warnings of cavities from your childhood dentist, people!
Anyway, here are some interesting reads from the good ole World Wide Web if you're interested in finding out more. I haven't made a decision about whether or not all forms of sugar are created equal. Most information seems to say they are, but I just can't imagine that our body processes refined sugars the same way it processes natural sugars found in things like fruit + even vegetables. 
Not matter what, though, the more sugar you're able to cut from your diet... the better. 

Read this infographic from mindbodygreen.com



Sugar, Sugar, Sugar...Yum?


Is Sugar Toxic? Research from Robert Lustig + an interview with Gary Taubes

sugar, sugar.

And don't even get me started in pop. That's a whole world of poison! Sorry for the Debbie Downer post, people. I promise to make tomorrow much more entertaining ;) All the best and thanks for reading! 

6 comments:

  1. You know, I struggle with my sugar addiction too! The last time I went cold turkey was over Christmas, and that was hard. Especially with my family who shows love by food, so they were all hurt when I was refusing to eat their desserts. I fell off the bandwagon after a couple weeks because I was "doing so good!" Now I need to get back on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I think about a life without sugar, i die a little bit inside. My current goal is complete eradication so that our taste buds become more sensitive to sugar. Then we could have it in smaller doses again without need sooooo much of it.

      Delete
  2. Sugar is added to bread to feed the yeast and make it rise faster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh... so it's just laziness. I never, ever add sugar to my bread when I make it.

      Delete
  3. I think that the natural sugars in fruits and vegetables are the only sugars that we should it. The refined sugar is processed more, obviously. I can't believe I'm looking at this post that's two years old... but I needed it! Thanks so much! Very helpful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Angie! Glad you enjoyed it, I try to post about health here and there because it's so important!

      Delete

I love reading + responding to comments! Keep in mind that comments are moderated and spam will never be approved :)