Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Le Weekend, Hydration + Fruity Angel Food

So. We left my netbook charger at my parents' house this past weekend. That means I have to either blog from John's mac or the touchpad.
Both options are less than ideal because of keyboard issues. In fact, I'm typing this out for the second time! The first go was totally lost due to the aforementioned keyboard issues.You'll have to forgive any errors today... It's just going to be a little rough! Actually, all week.
Today I want to share 2 things plus some cute pictures of my niece from my family birthday dinner. The first is a fruity angel food cake and the second is flavored water.
fruity angel food cake:
1 angel food cake (bought or made)
1 can crushed pineapple
8 frozen strawberries, thawed + mashed
whipped cream, non-dairy whip or ice cream

Mix up your mashed strawberries with the strained pineapple. I put the mixed fruit in the center and then covered it with whipped cream because of my dairy allergy. If I had my way, I would cut the cake in half hamburger style and put a layer of fruit down. Then I would fill the center with ice cream, top with more fruit and then a layer of whipped cream. Yum. 
Flavored water isn't anything new but I thought I'd share a few of our recipes today. John has a serious sweet tooth and that includes pop. However, we don't really drink pop ... It's expensive and so bad for you! John would drink it occasionally but a recent minor health scare showed him that he needs to bid adieu forever to the sugary poison. That being said, the flavored water I keep in the fridge has been a huge help. We bought a glass pitcher from T.J. Maxx for 6.99 (twice. I break everything.). Every morning I fill it with water and then choose a combination of flavors. I wash, chop, add and then chill in back in the fridge! If you're big drinkers, just add more water throughout the day. Dump it all at night, wash and set aside for the morning.

1. Lemon + strawberry
2. Strawberry + lime
3. Strawberry + lemon + orange
4. Lemon + orange
5. Cucumber + strawberry (favorite!)
6. Grapefruit + strawberry
7. Mixed berry (blackberries, raspberries, strawberries)
8. Lemon + cranberry
9. Kiwi + lime

If you're wondering how much fruit to use, I use one piece per for lemons, 6 strawberries, a handful of other berries, 2 limes, 2 kiwi, 1/2 orange, 1/2 grapefruit and 1/2 cucumber. There's really no limit to the combinations, those are just the most common at home! Pineapple, pomegranate, let your imagination soar! 
Lastly, here are some adorable pictures of my niece, Lilah. I wanted some of her older sister, Penelope, too but my favorite 3 year old is camera shy lately.
I have to get rolling! I'm heading over to a west Michigan blogger meet up with my girl, Meghan, from SPLIT THE LARK. I'll let you know how it goes. Stay tuned people, it's going to be a good week! I've got a fourth beach wrap designed and ready to blog about, courtesy of more requests. I LOVE requests, so if there's something you want, please let me know! As always, thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading + responding to comments! Keep in mind that comments are moderated and spam will never be approved :)