Thursday, July 12, 2012

DIY Fairy Doors

If you live in Michigan, it's possible you know about fairy doors.
In Ann Arbor it's kind of a charming phenomenon that is chronicled by this webmaster. Of course, when I came across an unfinished fairy  door at the store the other day, immediately it went into my basket. I called my brother to see if he thought his daughter would want one for her room. She's small, but soon her teeth will start falling out and it will be adorable to pretend that this is how the fairy gets in and out of her room.
Plus, she loves fairies. I was hanging out with her the other day and she asked me to sit and talk with her. I asked her what she wanted to talk about and she said, "fire breathing dragons and fairies!" ... she always is talking about fairies. I can't wait to give this to her!
It would be a fun little gift for any little girl, but also cute to add some whimsy to a room or just a home.
There really aren't directions for this, I'll just walk you through the process my door went through. I made it this Tuesday in just a little bit of time, maybe an hour. Hopefully it inspires you to make one for a child in your life!
This unfinished door is priced at $9.99 at Hobby Lobby. I used a coupon and got it for $6! The maker is Enchanted Fairy Doors
After searching the web for inspiration, I couldn't find any fairy doors that I liked. They were all too rustic, which I appreciate as "realistic", but I felt like the green + brown was too drab for a little girl's room. Plus, it just doesn't say 'enchanted' to me... so I gave the fairy door something I would adore myself... a nice coat of Carnation Pink from Martha Stewart. 
I started mixing colors for the wall. I started with a light green and then mixed in brown as I went along.
This is the beginning of the glitter process. I kept adding more and more glitter to the frame. In the end I glittered the frame, the door hinges & a bit of ivy running up the side. I just painted it on with modpodge. 
Here's a view of the walls in their various brown + green state. I painted the rock path in shades of grey and then stippled on more shades of grey to give it a natural look. But I'm not an artist, so don't judge ;) 
This is a final view, though I feel like the picture doesn't do it justice. My camera has serious lighting issues (or rather, my lens), so sometimes a photograph just isn't going to work. I'm not sure if I love the alternating shades of green above the door. I may go back and make it one shade of green again. Don't be afraid to experiment, the nice thing about paint is that you can always just cover it up and start again!
Tomorrow is the end of the week and we have big plans for this weekend! It just seems like the weeks fly by, but I hope your evening and day tomorrow are wonderful. Tomorrow I'd like to share one last little bit of love before the weekend, so check back! All the best and as always, thanks for reading! 


4 comments:

  1. How cute! I may have to make my great-niece one of these! Thanks for sharing. I hope they have them in Jacksonville, Fl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If not- there is always the world wide web! I'm sure you can get the same brand sold online :)

      Delete
  2. That is just adorable! My 3 year old would love this for sure! I'll have to add that to my list of projects for her new big girl room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm making another one today with two of my favorite girls (5 & 7) ... you can never have too much whimsy with girls!

      Delete

I love reading + responding to comments! Keep in mind that comments are moderated and spam will never be approved :)