Thursday, August 23, 2012

NO SEW Leg warmers (round two!)

**Use the rest of that sweater to make no-sew sweater boots! Just as easy- click here**
Glue gun lovers, this one is for you!!
I saw a pair of really cozy looking, buttoned-down legwarmers circulating for sale on Pinterest and fell in love. Fortunately (for my bank account), there was some sort of error and they didn't pin to my wall :(
I've POSTED about making legwarmers before, but I decided to give it another go as I was inspired by that adorable pair. I added some ribbon to mine for a little extra cuteness factor, though I wish I had used a wider ribbon. This was all I had on hand, though.
Instead of sewing them, I decided to glue it up this time around so those of you without the desire to stitch can still participate. Of course, you're welcome to sew them if you prefer.
(1) Start it. Cut the sleeves off of an old sweater with a thick ribbed knit, so that it doesn't unravel. I cut these off of John's sweater *months* ago when I did the first post about legwarmers and they still haven't unraveled so I'd say it's safe. The end of the sleeve will be at the top of your knee and the underarm end will go down by your feet.
(2) Cut it. Put them on and see if they're too long. If they are, mark down the right length and cut the excess off. Slit each one down the middle from top to bottom. If you *don't* want your legwarmers to be tapered and instead want them to be straight legged then fold them in half with the two cut ends together and cut the taper off from the TOP to BOTTOM so that they are now straight. 
(3) Ribbon it. Cut ribbon 2 inches longer than the legwarmer and in sections (so the glue doesn't dry), glue the ribbon on using fabric glue sticks in your gun (1/2 inch in from the edge). Tuck the ends over the other side and glue down at each end. 
(4) Connect it. Next, glue the ends back together. Put your glue down on the inside of the ribbon between the ribbon's edge and the edge of your legwarmer slit. Section by section, glue down the other edge. 
(5) Button it. Place your buttons out into the exact way you'd like them and then one at a time, pick them up and glue them on. I like to apply the glue to the edges of the button so that it doesn't show through in the button holes. Be sure that the legwarmers match each other- you don't want one to have buttons going down much further than the other!
(6) Wear it! I liked leaving my ends tapered. I think it looks interesting and different than regular legwarmers when worn with flats. It creates a flare shape. You can also wear them with boots, as pictured below. Forget expensive boot socks!
The end! You probably won't hear from me for the rest of the week. I promised myself that with the extra work load, I'd go down to only blogging 3 days/week for the summer. Ha. I think I did 4 days/week a couple of times, but that's the closest I've come so far! I'm going to give it a whirl this week just to see if I can do it or if I need to join some sort of blogging-addition therapy class. We'll see. Have a great day! All the best and as always, thanks for reading!
**Use the rest of that sweater to make no-sew sweater boots! Just as easy- click here**

18 comments:

  1. Those boots are FABULOUS!! Lovin' the leg warmers, too, but my husband would kill me if I cut up one of his sweaters, lol :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I loved them so much that I bought them in both colors!
      Ahh- goodwill is the answer then! You can get sweaters there for a couple of bucks.
      My hubs changed sizes, so he has clothes galore he can't wear anymore that I'm allowed to DESTROY! It's fantastic. Thanks so much for reading!

      Delete
  2. What a great idea! Can`t wait to get to my old closet at my mom`s and take some of the sweathers, hihih

    Love your blog and FB page.

    Your newest follower,
    Aleksnadra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO glad you found me!!! Attack those sweaters, baby! The more legwarmers, the better! <3 <3

      Delete
  3. What a great idea and cute creation with the sweaters! Let's give a try this winter and I let you know! Thanks a lot for your nice explanations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just cannot begin to tell you how grateful I am for this post! You've made my entire Fall season :D Also, I have to Second the question: Where di you get those BOOTS!!!! They're to die for!!!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Jeanine! They are Spring, I got them about 4 or 5 years ago, and they're starting to show bad wear. My heart is broken!

      Delete
  4. i LOVE your boots! where did you get them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just saw this! They are from the shop Spring

      Delete
  5. WOW!!!! These are AMAZING!! Thank you sooo. Much! The Leg Warmers I have Ben looking at for the last two years, are out of my tiny budget! I can now DIY THANKS TO YOU!!!!! I cannot tell you how much I appreciate this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! We can have a "tiny budget" club :) it inspires everything I make!

      Delete
  6. If you don't want to use ribbon do you just not cut them? Where do you cut exactly, down the seam or somewhere else?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hannah! It depends on how big the sleeves are. This was my husband's sweater so they were too baggy to fit my legs. If your sleeves are tight enough to stay up- that's great! You can cut on the seam, or anywhere else.
      It doesn't really matter :) but cutting on the seam would be a little more clean looking. Hope that helps!

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much! I wasn't even thinking about it being a guys sweater and then being to big. One more question (maybe lol), if I do have to cut do I have to use a ribbon to reattach or could I just glue to sweater? Maybe I'm not understanding the picture and instructions but do you have to have the ribbon sticking out or is that just for style?

      Delete
    3. No problem! The ribbon is just to mimick the inspiration. You can definitely omit it or use something like a crocheted lace instead. Feel free to simply glue! :D

      Delete
    4. Can I use sweatshirts were the wrist is a lil smaller. Like cut that part off?

      Delete
    5. Yeah, that's fine-- but try them on before cutting off the cuffed wrist. The tightness and stretch will probably be helpful in making them stay up :)

      Delete

I love reading + responding to comments! Keep in mind that comments are moderated and spam will never be approved :)