Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Caramel Apple Pie COOKIES!!! AHH!!!

These are possibly my favorite cookie ever. They combine (most) of the great elements of fall! It all started when Claire (the wife of my husband's good friend) posted that she was baking apple cider cookies with a caramel in the center. I've never heard of apple cider cookies and all day I wondered what they would be like. Then I thought, "What if it was an apple PIE cookie instead?!" ... and these were born.
They're super easy and depending on your time limit you can make them as quickly or as from-scratch as you'd like.
You'll need...
1 apple of your choice (I used gala)
12 caramels (pre-bought, or homemade)
Sugar cookie dough (premade or homemade)
Pumpkin pie spice (OR a mixture of cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.)

(1) Dice it. Dice your apple into small pieces. Also cut up your caramels. I cut mine into thirds, but wished later that I had diced them into smaller pieces the same size as the apples.
(2) Portion it. Take half of your dough and portion out 12 balls. Flatten the balls on to your cookie sheet (greased or ungreased as your sugar cookies/recipe calls for). Set the other half of the cookie dough aside.
(3) Fill it. Add in a layer of apples, caramel + spice (sprinkle it on evenly, don't be too shy, I wished I had used more).
(4) Top it. Portion out the other half of the dough into 12 more balls, use one ball per cookie to top your "pie". Smoosh the ends together and then give your cookies another dusting of spice.
ALTERNATIVE!! I left some of the pies untopped to see what happened. Also, if you don't want to portion out the dough, just mixed EVERYTHING into a big bowl (dough, spice, apples + caramel... use about 1.5 tsp of spice). Then roll them into 2 inch balls and place on your cookie sheet (at least 2 inches apart). They
will taste the same, but will look different.
(5) Bake it. Follow your dough recipe and check them as they bake, but I baked mine at 350 for 13 minutes. Perfection. ALLOW TO COOL before transferring, or you'll just have a big mess of caramel. 

I'm ready to try another version that includes oats and brown sugar. What? I know. *Dutch* caramel apple pie cookies. Just wait. I'm hoping to make them in the next day or two and will update this post to include the recipe. Happy Halloween! I've never been a huge Halloween person. The name is super ugly- and I'm a big sissy. Horror movies. Goblins. Ghosts. Witches. Blood. None of these things appeal to me. I do, however, really enjoy candy. My friend, Nikki, and I are pretty into hitting up Target for the post-Halloween candy sales. Makes my mouth water. Whatever you're up to tonight, stay safe and have fun! We'll be drinking a BOGO Biggby and hanging out in our nice, warm apartment with the little blue bird. And possibly eating more cookies.
All the best, and as always, thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. These cookies look heavenly. I can't wait to make them.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading + responding to comments! Keep in mind that comments are moderated and spam will never be approved :)