Thursday, December 27, 2012

DIY Natural Eye Makeup Remover + Moisturizer Combo!

Welcome back!
I hope your Christmas was everything you wanted and more. John and I are only halfway through Christmas- we headed south to visit his fantastic parents out of state and this weekend we'll celebrate with my family. So far we're really enjoying our decision to go without presents, though it appears that both sets of parents bent that request a little bit and got us some gifts. Thankfully, much less than usual.
I'm really excited for this natural DIY today. It has been far too long since I've done one and this is just so stinking easy, cheap + beneficial.
I ran out of my facial cloths a few weeks ago and started using water + organic soap + a washcloth to get my makeup off at night. It worked all right, except it left my eyes extremely raccoon-ish. I don't like to use a washcloth on my eyes because they're so delicate and don't need any help producing wrinkles. I tried gently cleaning around my eyes, but that resulted in several instances where soap got IN my eyes and I ran around the bathroom screaming, jumping, raging and flooding with tears. SO that wasn't cool. Also, when I woke up in the morning, I still had nice black rings. And I'm not sure if you've noticed, but it's ten times harder to get what's left from the night before off the next day.
In desperation, I grabbed my HAIR OIL and a Q-tip, just to see if it would work. It got the rings off without the slightest problem. My hair oil rocks, but I wouldn't recommend using it for eyes because it's packed with essential oils. But it was a starting point and led to this- the final product- and you have a couple of choices.
You'll need...
a) an empty bottle or jar
b) coconut oil
c) jojoba oil
d) castor oil (extremely optional)
For a super simple eye makeup remover + moisturizing cream, simply spoon some coconut oil into a clean jar. Coconut oil is a solid in temperatures under about 70 degrees. Dip a cotton square into the jar and apply the coconut oil to eyes after washing your face. It will suck up all traces of mascara + eyeliner. Just use a light hand, you don't want to leave clumps of coconut oil in your eyelashes. They'll melt and drip into your eyes. No fun at all. Sparingly, people. Sparingly.
For an even BETTER version, fill your jar halfway with coconut oil and then allow it to melt (I placed mine in the sun, but you could put it on a warm stove top or just in a warm room). Then fill the rest of the way with jojoba oil (or 40% jojoba + 10% castor oil. The castor oil is extremely optional, I added it because my dear friend at SPLITTHELARK gave it to me and it looked like fun!). Mix it up and put it in your bathroom. Dip a cotton square in and use it to remove mascara + eyeliner left after washing your face. Allow the extra residue to be soaked in by your skin and you won't even need to moisturize those bad boys! If you find that there isn't a lot of mascara + eyeliner left after washing your face, simply dip a Q-tip into your oil and use it to remove any makeup. Works like a charm + is fantastic for touch-ups. I'm always getting mascara on my eyelids. I like this version more because the jojoba is actually a wax and keeps the coconut oil from being too messy. Both coconut + jojoba are wonderful for skin and have antibacterial properties, which is great because you don't want a bunch of bacteria near your eyes.
 Be careful not to get the oil IN your eyes, though I can't imagine it's any worse than getting commercially sold products in them.
I have plans for posting about the wonder, beauty, joy + awe that is/was Christmas. But that will be another day. All the best, and as always, thanks for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading + responding to comments! Keep in mind that comments are moderated and spam will never be approved :)