Friday, December 21, 2012

DIY Starbuck VIA Instant Peppermint Mocha (individual serving OR packaged as a gift!)

Sneaking one last post before Christmas.
I keep seeing Starbucks Peppermint Mocha packets for sale and wanting to buy them, but they're $7 for 6 packets.
Not happening.
So instead, I made a recipe. I've spent the last two weeks testing and there are two versions: one is super easy and one is easy.
You can make an individual serving, but if you're looking for a last minute gift, this is a good option. You could put it in a pretty, refashioned jar (may I suggest THIS) with a chalkboard painted lid. Bonus points for including a bag of Jet Puffed Peppermint Mallows.
(if you like warm drinks, check out my PUMPKIN SPICE LATTE, PEPPERMINT MOCHA (not instant) and PEPPERMINT HOT CHOCOALTE)

SUPER EASY: 
Instant coffee: 1 serving
Instaant cocoa: 1 serving
Starlight mints: three crushed with a hammer
***
EASY
Instant coffee: 1 serving 
1 tablespoon of cocoa powder
3 crushed starlight mints (with a hammer)
1/2 tsp sugar of choice
***
***IF YOU AREN'T DAIRY-FREE: I had a reader ask about milk. In my non-instant version linked at the top I used milk. If you want to add it then use powdered milk and use 1/2 tbs per serving in either recipe. I don't know of a good non-dairy powered substitute. I don't like non-dairy creamer.
Add all of the ingredients in a mug.
Stir in some (super) hot water (about 6 oz) and allow the peppermints to melt. Add marshmallows for an extra wonderful experience. Peppermint marshmallows really made this rock. If you want to give it away, just multiply the recipe to fit into a jar. Remind the receiver to shake it up before portioning out (it should be about 3 tablespoons per serving if you used instant cocoa and 2 tablespoons if you used baking cocoa).
I hope you have the greatest Christmas! We are really looking forward to spending time with friends and family. I won't be posting again til after Christmas. So all the best, with extra wishes of love and warmth, and as always- thanks for reading!

7 comments:

  1. hello! I was just wondering, are you meant to put milk in the recepie too? :D it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my other one, which is linked at the top, I did use versions of milk :) you can definitely add powdered milk (1/2 tbs per serving would be good) to keep it "instant". I have a severe milk allergy so I couldn't include it, tho. :)

      Delete
  2. Love this idea as a gift. Posted on holiday and truebluemeandyou Tumblr blogs. It's been really popular :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the best. Literally!!! Thanks so much, and merriest Christmas to you!!

      Delete
  3. That looks delicious and so simple. I'm so going to serve this with my christmas pudding! Thank you and happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, Lana! If you're making it to serve, can I suggest the version at the top of the page? It is linked as peppermint mocha, not instant. I think it'll be easier to make and keep hot for a group. Merry Chrismas!!!

      Delete
  4. I actually got the Starbucks via peppermint mocha and i hate it. the powdered milk gives it an awful after taste :( thanks for posting this recipe! I'll have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading + responding to comments! Keep in mind that comments are moderated and spam will never be approved :)