Monday, December 10, 2012

Island in the Snow Cake!

I left my lap top at my parents' house this weekend when we went to visit for my dad's birthday. SO I'll be blogging from John's desk top, and this keyboard is pretty awful. To sum it up: expect blogs to be short and sweet for a few weeks.
Does your family do dessert traditions? Growing up my mom made a special dessert for each season. There is a fab heart shaped cream cheese meringue cake for Valentines Day, a strawberry + blueberry flag cake for the 4th of July... you get the drift. It's nice because we look forward to those desserts and they're special since we only get them once each year.
Last week my boss had a birthday (happy birthday, Genny! I love you!) and I made her a German Chocolate cake. In the middle layer was a frosting so fantastic that I needed an excuse to make it again. I decided that it could become our special winter time cake, as a tradition like my mom did it. You know how there is Christmas in July? This is Island in the Snow since the almond + coconut give it a tropical taste. Oh yeah- ha! It's an almond cake with a coconut brown sugar cream cheese frosting (which is a mouthful in a figurative and literal sense). I'll give two recipes: one for the short of time/lazy baker + and one full out.
Full out Almond Cake (from Solo):
1 c. butter
1 c. sugar
3 eggs
1 can almond filling
2 1/4 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. milk.
Mix it up, grease your pan, bake at 350 for 30-50 minutes (depending on what kind of pan you use, the thinner the batter is spread, the more quickly it will bake) til a fork comes out clean.
Cheaters Almond Cake
1 box of white cake mix + required ingredients
1 can of almond filling
Follow directions as listed on the box, add in the almond filling with the other ingredients.
** YOU WILL NEED ANOTHER CAN OF ALMOND FILLING FOR BETWEEN THE LAYERS in both recipes. Unless you want to use frosting.
And now for the frosting...
Coconut Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting from scratch
2 c. shredded coconut
3 c. brown sugar
8 oz cream cheese
8 oz (2 sticks) unsalted sweet cream butter (softened)
2 tsp. almond extract
Cream together the butter + cream cheese till smooth. Add in sugar + extract, mix. Lastly add coconut and mix.
Cheaters frosting
1 can of cream cheese frosting
1 cup of brown sugar
1 cup of coconut
Mix together!
We frosted the cake and then ate half of it in one night. I don't even regret it a little bit, dairy allergy and all! And to my beloved bff's mom (you know who you are), I apologize for loving coconut, but just can't seem to help myself ;)
I hope your weekend was fab and that Monday treated you well! Love and hugs go out to my beyond incredible dad who has a birthday tomorrow. You will never know how much I love you! 
All the best, and as always, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading + responding to comments! Keep in mind that comments are moderated and spam will never be approved :)