Monday, January 21, 2013

Ikea-Inspired Marzipan + Cream 'Princess Cake', Baked French Toast + Birthdays

Yesterday was John's birthday and I mentioned on Friday that we had a weekend of celebration planned for him. He turned 29 and I wanted to ring in this last year of his 20's as much as we'll celebrate the beginning of his 30's.
Most of our celebrating involved food because, well, we love it. And generally when it comes to food we do pretty well. I have no idea what happened this weekend, but most of the treats I promised him went up in flames. Almost literally. In one instance, I left the broiler on too long and... um... scorched the food beyond recognition. This is not my first instance of charring with the broiler. Once I had a couple of friends over for dinner, forgot that I was broiling garlic cheesy bread and by the time I remembered, it was on fire. Heh. Sooo... we decided that I'm banned from using that feature on our oven.
The cake was another story. John and I love the princess cakes at Ikea, they're light and insanely delicious. They feature layers of cream and jam as well as an outer dome of marzipan. Ah, heaven. While I could eat marzipan by the pound, John can only handle little doses. Based on that, I decided to make our own version that featured marzipan as a layer in the middle rather than entirely encompassing the cake. I also wanted to make it dairy-free, due to my allergy, by testing out the COCONUT WHIPPED CREAM I've seen a million times on Pinterest. Apparently you're *never, ever* supposed to use Light/Lite. Just full fat. So... it didn't work and we couldn't top the cake. Boo. The rest was awesome though and I still want to share the recipe with you, just in case you're dairy-free and also love those little cakes from Ikea.
You'll need...
Sponge cake OR white cake mix. My friend who is a brilliant baker of cakes maintains that boxed white cake mix is fab and the *only* cake mix that should ever be purchased.
Raspberry preserves/jam
Marzipan loaf or can (6 ounces is enough for a middle layer)
Marshmallow fluff (purchased or DIY)
A can of coconut milk, full fat
Sugar, if desired, for the coconut whipped cream
Start off by baking your cake, following the boxed directions and baking in two pans. I like to use applesauce instead of oil or butter in my mixes. Also, I greased the pan with coconut oil and a pastry brush before dusting.
Roll out your marzipan into a circle, the same dimensions as your cake.
Once they have cooled completely, take out the first layer, topping it with your marzipan circle, and give it some preserve action. I wish I had used more than we did. Next, put on a layer of marshmallow fluff.
Top it with the other layer of cake and follow THE DIRECTIONS to make coconut whipped cream. From here I was going to pipe it on top and make it very pretty with the fluff + jam oozing out between the layers. Buuut that didn't happen. So we ate as is and totally enjoyed it anyway. In fact, that cake looks like it would make an awesome 9:00 am snack.
We also tried (and failed) with the baked french toast, as mentioned at the top. Thought you'd want to see before and after pictures. Ah well. I also gave John his first bad haircut (you can see it on instagram: aunak). In the 2+ years I've been cutting his hair (2x per month!), I've never given him a bad cut. Streak? Ended. Considering the hundreds of dollars we've saved, and his nonchalant attitude toward his hair, the little hiccough won't stop us from continuing our home salon sessions. In my defense, we were in a hurry and I was using a bizarre comb. In one flick of the hand, a chunk was gone. Then I balded him trying to fade his hair together form the missing chunk. And then he said he wanted the other side shorter to match (the first side was *perfect*). Soo... when I was trying to make it shorter, the comb did it's weird flick thing again and WHAP, bald spot. Heh. No more cuts in a rush.
This week has lots of fun in store! John is going to write a guest post and I have a really fun budget DIY to show you as well. If you're off today, enjoy! I'll leave you with one of my favorite MLK quotes, "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
All the best and as always, thanks for reading!

6 comments:

  1. Aundrea, are you referring to me up there, talking about box cake mix? Hehe! :)
    xo
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who else?!?! I feel no shame in purchasing it now based on your opinion. I should tell everyone how you feel about boxed chocolate cake ;)

      Delete
    2. I actually found a homemade white cake that's just as good as boxed so I'll likely never buy boxed again. Chocolate boxed cake is a travesty. It is not good. The thing is, homemade cake is so easy. You have to measure maybe 10 to 12 ingredients and mix them in a mixer. Not difficult and so much better. Worth any extra bit of effort it takes. :) Given your allergy though, I think we can agree that boxed cake is better than no cake at all. haha!

      Delete
    3. How can you DO this to me?! Now I've lost my ability to justify boxed white mix. Haha! I know how much you hate boxed chocolate cake, it's hilarious. You need to guest blog a baked good/cake for me sometime, ok? Because I almost always botch it.

      Delete
  2. This looks absolutely delicious and I am too lazy not to use cake mixes at this point (and I use to bake all the time *sob*). Pinning. Also love your tags - again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame you at all! And we ate the whole cake in less than 24h. No shame.

      Delete

I love reading + responding to comments! Keep in mind that comments are moderated and spam will never be approved :)