Sherlock is John's absolute favorite show on air currently. And it's the best Sherlock I've seen yet... Sorry, Robert Downey Jr! It's brilliantly done, set in current day. The writers wanted it to be authentic, when the original series was written, Sherock Holmes was a super techy guy- way ahead of the curve- so they tried to recreate that with their BBC version. I don't love it quite as much as John, but I agree that it's totally fab and I'm definitely looking forward to the third series, which should air toward the end of 2013 or beginning of 2014.
This refashion took the longest of all three, but it was also the easiest!
FOLLOW THE NATURAL DYE instructions on this page if you're interested in using natural dyes. My big mistake was that the shirt I used was half polyester. I thought it was 100% cotton. Coffee + beet juice won't take to synthetic fabrics, so the color wasn't as dramatic as I was looking for, but it was enough to work.
I literally let the dye steep for 24 hours and then let the shirt soak in it for 2 days, finishing it up Sunday afternoon. That's what took so long, otherwise it was the easiest by far. When using natural dyes, remember that unless you "set" them with a vinegar or salt concoction, they will fade. Read that above link for lots of info about natrual dyes.
Here's the shirt totally dyed and ready for the next step. I wanted it ot be a little off the shoulder, so I cut the collar off. This is an individual process. With a normal crew cut, cutting about 1/2 inch extra along the collar is enough to make it slouchy, but if the neckline is really tight you'll need to take more.
Next I stamped my lettering on to the shirt using 1 inch blocks. There are multiple methods for this, but there are two I've relied on for years. If you want a weathered/mottled look then put your fabric paint down and spread it evenly out. Then dip your stamp into the paint and then directly on to the fabric. Repeat! For a consistent coverage, paint the fabric paint on to your stamp with a paintbrush.
Here's the back side stamped. I stamped along a piece of masking tape measured out to be even across the back of the shirt. I also stamped "I am" across the bottom front hem.CARDIGAN project I made for John. I thought it would be really fun to patch the elbows with silhouettes of Sherlock Holmes and John Watson. I printed out pictures of the actors online turned sideways, traced them on to the patch using a fabric marker and then cut them out. We really debated about the placement of them. I loved them as elbow patches but John thought they looked odd. So we tried several arrangements, which you can see below. If you aren't a Sherlock fan, you can always cut whatever shape/silhouette out that you like. Also, the patches come in multiple sizes so you can think BIG too :)
FREE BATES sweatshirt from Monday. I wanted to make each project distinct. Natural dye was interesting, but I have to say that RIT would have been easier or perhaps given me an idea of what color I would end up with. It's kind of a shot in the dark with natural dye, but if you're using a natural fabric that's white it really works well, as you'll see in a future refashion.
Hopefully you saw your favorite BBC show featured (Doctor Who here)! If not, let me know and I'll see what we can do about that. All the best and as always, thanks for reading!