Wednesday, March 13, 2013

EASY + CHEAP! DIY Leather Charm Bracelets

A few weeks ago I was pinning on Pinterest- which I'm trying to get back into the habit of doing- and came across the sweetest pin of a leather charm bracelet featuring a bike (image below).
I loved it.
But I also loved how easy and uncomplicated the design was, realizing that it would be easy to recreate with nearly *any charm* for such a cheap price. Since it was such a popular pin, it seemed like a good tutorial.
You can buy the original from Fabulous Time HERE for only 3.89. That is really such a cheap price, but if you want to make your own exactly like it- you can purchase a 12 pack of the bike charms HERE for less than $3 from e-bay. I think it would be a great idea to get a pack of the charms and make these for bridesmaids or as a themed party favor. You can say something super cheesy to your bridesmaids like, "Thanks for going on the ride with me" ... get it? Because it's a bike? Super lame. This is why I'm not in advertising.
Before you get started, measure out your cord. You can simply put a measuring tape around your wrist to get the circumference. Next, add 2 inches and double the total. For example, if your wrist circumference is 7 inches + 2 = 9 x 2 = 18. Once you have cut your length off, cut it in half again.
First you'll thread your charm. If it is open enough, like the bike, you can thread the actual charm itself. If not, use jump rings, attached to the charm, and thread those. Mine are square brass and I got a pack of them from Hobby Lobby for a dollar. Next, fold your first piece of cord (also from hobby lobby, $2- and there's enough for a few bracelets) in half and stick the halved side through your charm/jump rings. Now push your ends through the hole and pull tight. Repeat on the other side. You're creating a Larks Head Knot, if that helps :) 
Next, add a jump ring to each end. Push your cord through the ring and knot it *really* tightly. As tightly as you can. Repeat on the other side. While you're doing this, put your bracelet around your wrist so that you can gauge where you want the jump rings, tightening or loosening the bracelet to your preference. 
If you end up with bunching, which you can see a tiny bit in the above photo, just play with the knot near the charm until the cord lays evenly.
Once you have both jump rings on, attach a clasp to one jump ring. I didn't even use tools for any of this, by the way. I just pushed the jump rings open a tiny bit and then closed them with hands. You can either leave the extra leather on or trim it off. I kind of liked it on, but John said it was better to cut it off. So off it went!
There it is cut down.
And here it is on! I didn't think of it at the time, but this looks like an ironic play on watches. Kind of like the whole, "it doesn't matter what time it is, I'm late anyway!" meme. This charm was part of a $2 set from Michael's that I used in the DOCTOR WHO refashion.
I wore it quite a bit over the weekend, and each time asked John to take a picture or two. So that's why you can see different outfits. And, of course, there had to be an LPP book, because for some reason this seemed very little-prince-ish to me. Maybe it's the simplicity. Who knows. 
So that's it for Wednesday! PS- We're getting dangerously close to the final countdown to WIN FREE SOFTWARE from MyMemories. All you have to do to enter is leave a comment. The odds are pretty good, so if you want some awesome free software for designing/crafting/creating, head over. :)
All the best, and as always, thanks for reading! 




9 comments:

  1. So easy and I love the watch charm! Posted 2 finished photos and a link back to you on truebluemeandyou.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *SO* easy! and I'll probably buy the original bike bracelet too... it's just so cute! Thank you! <3

      Delete
  2. Love this Idea! Working on one now! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I like how you showed a different charm as well. I have to go through my charms to see what I have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. is there a video tutorial for that?
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is too cute - I love it. I'm collecting a lot of ideas and haven't started any yet, but this will be one of the first ones I'll do.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading + responding to comments! Keep in mind that comments are moderated and spam will never be approved :)