Wednesday, March 6, 2013

French-y Toms Refashion (OR whatever you want!)

I've been meaning to refashion my Toms for a long, long time. We used to be big fans of the brand, having a few pairs each. Unfortunately, it isn't a fair trade brand so we stopped buying them and now, I have no problem painting all over them!
Our tattoo artist teamed up with a group and raised money for charity by painting tattoos on to Toms and used a pair of mine and John's for practice. He sent a picture of my wedges with all of the scrolling flowers and it was so fun! I decided it was probably time to make all of our pairs a little more fantastic. You can decorate any canvas shoes, obviously, these were just the ones we had.
There are several methods for refashioning Toms. I've seen MOD PODGE fabric coverings, SHARPIE refashions and lots of themed pairs. For these, I used my CUSTOM STENCIL from several other projects and some fabric paint. It worked a lot better than I expected!
First I made the stencil (for more info on the process- click HERE). All you need is a sharpie, x-acto knife, contact paper and your design. This happens to have a double meaning. We watched a lot of Doctor Who over the weekend and the 10th Doctor is always saying, "Allons-y!" which is french for "Let's go!". I thought it would be great for the shoes, since it gives a nod to one of my favorite shows and languages at the same time. PLUS! "Let's go" is a perfect phrase for a pair of shoes, right? It adds a bit of whimsy and adventure to every step.
I used the Police Call Box font which is Gill Sans and printed it out on to paper. I taped down my contact paper over top and traced it with my sharpie. Then I cut it out with my knife.
Next you'll need to apply just the sticky contact paper to your shoes. I thought about stuffing my shoe with a sock and using a FREEZER PAPER transfer instead, but I was worried that it just wouldn't adhere well. Remember when putting your design/font/whatever on to your shoes to fill the details back in (such as the holes in the A and O letters).
Once it's stuck on real well, color the design in with your paint. Be careful to make sure all edges are down so that the paint doesn't bleed through and you get clean lines. After one coat, I removed the contact paper and went over the design two or three more times with a fine point paintbrush. If you have a stable hand, this is the way to go since I find the contact paper starts to loosen up.
After that, let them dry for about 3 days before wearing outside (water/elements!). Check your paint to make sure it doesn't require heat setting. If it does, it may be a good idea to stuff the shoe with socks (pack them in tight!) before drying/ironing.
You can see that originally I intended to do "Fantastic!" on the other shoe (homage to the 9th doctor), but I changed my mind. I thought Allons-y was a little more subtle and fun for the shoes. You can obviously do any design or phrase you'd like! I was worried that the font was too small and it would be hard to cut, but it was fine. This was definitely the smallest design I've done with contact paper. The BALLERINA TEE will always be my favorite custom stencil project, but these shoes will be fun to wear, too.
Speaking of ballet- the toes of my Toms are really jacked up and THIS is why! Do you see those pictures? Toms beg my feet to go en pointe. It's amazing that there aren't holes in the tips already.
So that's it for today! I hope you're inspired to spice up your shoes- whether or not you're into French or Doctor Who :)
All the best, and as always, thanks for reading! 

9 comments:

  1. Are you en pointe? If so, how long did you take ballet before they let you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's totally the discretion of the instructor, I saw 3 girls in my first adult ballet class move up to pointe after ONE year! It was insane.

      Delete
  2. Ohmygosh! I can so relate. I can't not roll up en pointe once in a while and I have red toms too! Love the idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally published all of these comments. I liked them that much.

      Delete
  3. Ohmygosh! I can so relate. I can't not roll up en pointe once in a while and I have red toms too! Love the idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant. Red Toms ballerinas need to stick together :)

      Delete
  4. Ohmygosh! I can so relate. I have red toms too and I just can't not roll up en pointe all the time.. Love the refashion! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's even your profile pic! I LOVE that! Way to be awesome :)

      Delete
  5. Your TOMS look awesome! I somehow stumbled across your blog while looking for reviews of TOMS this evening. I am looking at purchasing my very first pair! I have read all sorts of stories on various websites about TOMS making feet really sweaty so I have been hesitant to buy a pair myself. Has this been your experience with TOMS or are your feet always dry when you wear them?

    Fantastic website, by the way! You have a new fan!

    Sarah.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading + responding to comments! Keep in mind that comments are moderated and spam will never be approved :)