Monday, April 8, 2013

DIY, Easy Spring/Summer Faux Fur Vest- FROM SCRATCH!

This was never intended to be a blog post, but since mine is much different than the inspiration, here we are. I saw an incredible faux fur vest on Pinterest made by Erica of P.S. I Made This fame. I rarely make things from other bloggers- not because I dislike them, but just because I never have time. However, I really loved this vest, it was easy and it was something I could do while John watched the Michigan vs. Syracuse game during dark hours when I don't like to photograph (so I don't work on la vie then).                                                                                   Anyway, I went out and bought the required amount of faux fur (she suggested between 1 and 2 yards, I got 1.25) for $12 from Hobby Lobby and followed her directions. And it turned out horribly. *This is not because her post was bad*. I think it was because the faux fur I bought was really stiff backed and hers must have been softer and more draped.
It was a disaster.
I can't even begin to describe how bad it looked. 
I didn't want to waste the money or the material, so I reshaped it and cut and worked and made until it turned into something totally adorable and wearable! It was really still very easy in the end. Because I didn't intend for this to be a post originally (as I don't like to redo what other bloggers have done) the pictures are lacking. So since last week's BEACH COVER UP pattern went over quite well, I made another!
Here's the only photo I have of it. The material is folded in half hamburger style and cut symmetrically. Do you see all of that faux fur everywhere? Still vacuuming it up! This pic may be enough for you to create your own, so go for it! If not, see below. 


1.Start with your faux fur fabric. Mine was about 1.25 yards, but you will need more or less depending on your size and how closed in front you want it to be. I suggest starting with too much and cutting it down. You can even cut in the arm holes first and then see how much you want to take off on each side so that the scraps are larger and easier to reuse. 
2. First, cut your fabric into a long, ovular shape- almost a rounded rectangle. Next, add in arm holes. I made mine start about 9 inches from the top and their dimensions are 9 inches by 4 inches, which is very roomy. This makes a very open back. You can definitely make yours much thinner for more back coverage. I suggest just cutting in a slit first and then heightening and widening it as you go. As for placement, have someone take a measuring tape and measure your back from underarm to underarm. Mine was 12 inches, so I measured the center of the vest and then marked an X 6 inches either way to create a distance of 12 inches, then cut in slits for the arm holes over the X. 
3. Lastly, this is what made the biggest difference in our versions of this vest, aside from the raised shoulder line. Mine is much less voluminous in the front because of the mushroom shape. Fold your vest in half and cut in rounded angles. Refer to the picture of the actual vest for the proper shape. I don't know what to call it? An obtuse angle? 
I also ran mine through my sewing machine with a straight tight stitch around all edges and the arm holes. I don't know if this was necessary, but I can't stand the shedding and I feel like it helps end it. 
Ready to wear it? Here's how to fold!
Start with the top of the collar folded down in half in a straight line. Then fold the top of the hanging off "mushroom cap" over itself so that it aligns.
like this. 
Then take that mushroom cap piece and fold it 
like so :) A video may be more helpful. Or maybe I'm making this more confusing than it is!
I love this because it can be dressed up or down. I'd like to wear it with a loose black maxi dress, but don't own one, so that's actually the same cowl dress as in THIS PEARL tutorial! I pulled the cowl neck up like a tube top and pulled the dress down into a skirt and then wrapped the sleeves into a bow around my waist. The belt gives it a much more formal look, and I belted right over the draping neck, not under it.
Below it's more casual with a tee shirt and leggings. This is a really lightweight vest, so it's perfect for adding layers during Spring and Summer, especially during cooler evenings.
I'm still debating about making the other vest with a softer faux fur, but I probably don't need *three* fur vests. Erica's was really cool, so you should CHECK IT OUT, too, if you didn't already click the other link. I recommend using a soft faux for that tutorial, but you can use a soft or stiff backed material for this one here, either will work.
Happy Monday! In other news, I added a bunch of new ADOPT merch to my Etsy shop, so feel free to check it out :) Just click "shop" at the top menu section of my page.
All the best, and as always, thanks for reading! 

4 comments:

  1. Love this look and how you styled it in several ways. Also like the patterns because as you know I am a pattern person! Posted the collage of looks on my blog with a link back to you on my Tumblr truebluemeandyou.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grateful as always!! And so glad that the fur didnt have to go in the garbage :)

      Delete
  2. Auna, I love the vest you referenced..found it on Pinterest too..but the lack of directions put me off. You have made my day...we just got a Joann's in our town and their faux fur selection is great. New vest coming my way tomorrow..thank you very much for the great pics and instructions.
    Deborah Kay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deborah, sorry you had that experience! Hopefully this will go better :) Email if you have any questions once you get started! :)

      Delete

I love reading + responding to comments! Keep in mind that comments are moderated and spam will never be approved :)