Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Clean Eating Avocado Chevre Hors d'oeuvre

I love food.
I recently PINNED A RECIPE from Saveur.com to the clean eating board for a delicious looking cucumber tomato open faced sandwich. It had an avocado spread and everything about the photo made my mouth water.
I read over the recipe and was inspired to create an hors d'oeuvre version this week, amping up the spread to make it more of a stand alone feature and creating bite sized versions of the sandwich. This is the result!
Here's the thing: when an experiment is performed, one never knows if it will turn out well or not so this wasn't supposed to be a blog post.
I didn't take pictures of the process. I don't even have a photo of the bowl of spread.
I only have pictures from the brunch where it was eaten.
My husband was eating his own self-prepared (thanks, John!) almond butter sandwiches and wondered what I was going to be having with a friend who came by yesterday, so I snapped a couple pictures with my phone and sent them over, the spread was in the fridge so it isn't even pictured! This is the best I can do. Please note the discrepancy between the right and left platters. This perfectly represents my diet, a huge sugary sweet tooth combined with a zest for health... and a big plate of allergy compromises in the middle.
But two steps forward and one step back, right?
Also... the donuts are clearly not clean eating approved. I have no regrets.
I bought this chevre because the packaging was so charming. I like goat cheese and tolerate it MUCH better than products from cows, but generally have purchased a different brand. I'm really glad. So glad that I went with La Bonne Vie. It was AMAZING! This is the cheese I used for the avocado spread recipe. I'm not sure if it's clean, but the short ingredient list looks pretty good. Being organic would help, you can substitute in organic chevre if you find it. The cheese on the left is Dubliner cheese from Kerrygold, which is one cheese worth making dairy exceptions for. I love it.
I treated the cucumber and tomato slices with dill, sea salt and pepper and placed them on a platter with two types of Back to Nature crackers. The spinach, square shaped crackers were awesome dipped into the spread.
Finally, these rounded crackers were the base of the hors d'oeurve. A slab of spread, cucumber and tomato (quartered to make them cracker sized) topped them off and made little bites of healthy, filling happiness. For extra joy and happiness, put a little slice of dubliner cheese on the cracker as well. 
Ready for the recipe? Here it is!
1 ripe avocado
1/2 package (2 oz) of chevre
1 clove of freshly pressed garlic
salt and pepper to taste (I used 1/4 tsp of each)

Mix ingredients until smooth, I used an immersion blender which really worked well to create a nice consistency and get the spices integrated evenly. 
I hope your week is going well! All the best, happy JUNE and as always- thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading + responding to comments! Keep in mind that comments are moderated and spam will never be approved :)