Wednesday, July 3, 2013

FEED Jacket Refashion

Have you seen the new FEED line from Target? The idea is that each item in the line provides meals for families. I LOVE the entire collection and want to buy it all. But, when I first saw the commercial, there was a jacket (can be purchased here for the inexpensive price of $30) that reminded me of an old tutorial I needed to finish.
A long time ago I did a post about refashioning a HOODIE and cut off the hood to save for this... and then never did it. In fact, so much time passed that I couldn't even find the saved hood! So I cut one off from another project :)
I did it two different ways, and you can follow either method or combine them! (center jacket from TARGET)
Let's start with the jean jacket.
Here is the jacket before altering. It's a little big on me, and you may want to choose a very fitted jacket to achieve the best results. I'm toying with the idea of giving this away, so if you wear a medium and would like it, comment below. There must be some curse for that star stamp, because everything I use it on ends up not fitting!
 Very simply, you'll need to cut the arm sleeves off. Try to get as close to the seam as possible, even cutting *underneath* the little flapped over part of the seam (you'll see it). That way you'll get a very clean line and it will look like the jacket was always sleeveless.
Next I added some stars just for fun. Maybe it's for the 4th of July. Maybe it's because I like stars. Whatever. They're here now. You can also do words or anything else you'd like. If you want, you can create a patch like I did HERE and sew it above. I sponge painted some fabric paint on to my stamp and stamped it right on the line.

 I decided to really saturate the color of the fabric paint (although the faded look was good too), so I used a stiff brush to paint on some more color.
Next, to mimic the hooded look without making it permanent (which is a nice option in a warm summer), I layered the jacket over my TARDIS HOODIE refashion from earlier this year. Done!

I also did another khaki jacket, sewing an actual hood on. It was so stinking easy!
 First just cut the hood off of an old hoodie. Leave an extra 1/4 to 1/2 inch of fabric instead of cutting right along the seam. I didn't quite leave enough to work with.
 Next pin it on to the jacket. Start by pinning the exact center of the hood to the exact center of the jacket and work your way out. You will want to taper the hood as well toward the ends (the hood is pinned right against the seam in the center, but about an inch down from it on either end, this gives a nicer look when you wear the jacket open. If the hood is too wide for the jacket, like mine, create pleats by folding the fabric over in a wave shape and pinning.
Try it on to make sure you like the placement.
Next you'll run it through your sewing machine using a tight stitch. You will want to sew along that extra 1/4- 1/2 of fabric that you left on since the actual hood will be extremely thick. So make sure you leave that fabric, it will make sewing it so much easier!
Here's the finished product again. I should have taken one with the hood up, because it looked really nice on this jacket. The colors went well together.
Such an easy project! Thanks so much for reading and have the BEST 4th of July tomorrow! 

3 comments:

  1. Adorable! I love both of these...may just have to do it myself!
    I think I'm about the same size as you and I would wear the vest as is. Just rock it girl :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! Ps- I'm dying for chocolate too!!!!

      Delete
  2. This is super cute, especially with the stars. I would totally wear this if you decided to give it away. =)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading + responding to comments! Keep in mind that comments are moderated and spam will never be approved :)