Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Zero Waste Home 3: Fashion! Versatile Dressing

Have you ever fallen in LOVE with a dress? I don't like to have a major attachment to "things" because they're so easy to lose. However, this dress ... this is the dress I have searched for.
A long time ago, I created a look on POLYVORE using a simple black dress. Black with brown is one of my *favorite* color combinations. I've always heard they shouldn't be mixed, but I respectfully disagree (for the record, blue and black also go together in my book... and closet).
Anyway, I spotted this dress at TARGET and my dreams became a realization. After nearly a month of owning it, I've worn it about 10 times.
I'm not kidding.
The fact is, it's just stinking versatile. No matter what we're doing that day, this dress is the answer! And for someone who likes to live in dresses during the summer, that is very good news.

It totally fits into our Zero Waste Home theme because the author of the book, Bea Johnson, talks a lot about pairing down a closet to only the essentials. If you read her book, you'll see how little her closet is composed of. I didn't think it was possible to be stylish and satisfied on such a little clothing allowance until I started following her INSTAGRAM. Um. She's amazing. She always looks adorable and finds really creative ways to re-wear things (links at the bottom).
I didn't go crazy and make this dress really much more than a dress- I'll leave that to the professional (for today), but instead showed you four different looks from the same dress. AND- I didn't use any accessory other than a belt. If you start adding in jewelry, scarves, jackets- you can really dress this baby up or down.
Here's the dress as is- no frills. We're on our way to the grocery store here. I suppose this look is quite casual.
Belted at the waist, this takes on a much more formal approach. I don't know if it's "wedding" status, but you can definitely wear it to a dinner date or the office and look dressed for the occasion.
Here, belted on the hips, the dress looks more like a drop-waist and kicks some rockstar booty. Also- these bangs are totally fake. Read about them HERE.
Lastly, I belted the dress at the waist and then pulled the fabric out, making it become a tunic shirt. Again, we were leaving to go pick up a ring when we took these photos, so I really did wear this dress a few times this week!
In the spirit of Zero Waste, consider how many times you will wear something before buying it. An expensive item becomes much more affordable when you use it over and over again. Conversely, a "half off" impulse sale buy is pretty expensive if you only wear it once... or never. Go through your closet- are there certain things you wear over and over while other items hang there taking up valuable space? Sell them. Seriously. Between eBay and online clothing sale sites (like POSHMARK), you can get back some of that money as well as your coveted closet space. Consider new ways to wear something so that you get more use out of it and before buying something, ask yourself if you really do need it. So much of this really does echo our BUDGET series.
If you need some inspiration, check out Bea's post on 50 WAYS TO WEAR A MEN'S SHIRT. You will be legitimately shocked- and if you don't have the urge to go to a thrift shop and get a men's shirt, tell me!
All the best, and as always, thanks for reading!

7 comments:

  1. how cute! I just posted about my new lbd from Target too, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just checked out your blog- that dress is ADORABLE!

      Delete
  2. I clicked over to the 50 ways and the only problem is I have no idea what type of shirt she is using, I thought it was a button down dress shirt, long sleeves, but in another photo it looks like a knit shirt! So hard to tell with black/white photos. I wish she gave instructions for some of those! I would love such a versatile shirt that I also wouldn't get bored with!

    I'm just trying to not buy retail anymore! So far, not bad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been studying the pictures for about a month, I think it's a long sleeved men's button down with a rayon mix. I'm considering posting instructions myself since she didn't, because its definitely something people want to know!!
      I think this dress is my first retail purchase in months- I couldn't resist!!! But I agree- so much better to go second hand!!

      Delete
  3. Love it! I also recently discovered liketwice.com and thredup.com for buying and selling secondhand online!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thredup was recently recommended to me- I'm excited to check out like twice!!!

      Delete
    2. I haven't actually tried thredup yet, but I've tried liketwice and LOVE it! If you decide to give it a try, feel free to use my referral link for an extra $10 credit - liketwice.com/HU080

      Delete

I love reading + responding to comments! Keep in mind that comments are moderated and spam will never be approved :)