Monday, August 19, 2013

DIY Organic or All Natural Bronzer

Ok, so here's a fantastically easy recipe for bronzer that you can either make all natural or organic based on your preference using only a few simple ingredients.
The recipe is an adaptation from this post by CRUNCHY BETTY who was recommended to me by a reader several months ago. She adapted her recipe from another post, but the link was broken otherwise I'd include it here.
Crunchy Betty's bronzer received a lot of negative press because of the inclusion of cinnamon. I believe the majority of the recipe is cinnamon and people were concerned about the irritation it would cause to skin. Personally, I use cinnamon masks and have been using my version of the bronzer for quite some time with ZERO irritation, but I will  caution you to test patch it for a while and make sure cinnamon doesn't bother you. If it does (redness, irritation, burning...) just omit it from the recipe and you'll have a different color, but still some great bronzing. I was kind of surprised that people were so in arms over cinnamon when standard beauty products contain several known skin irritants as well as many toxins. I'd rather take my chances with a simple spice than many of the chemical cocktails out there that cost *so much money*. Also, I'm one of the few people who are allergic to mineral makeup (contact dermatitis), so I have really appreciated having some color on my skin again! And all using spices I already keep on hand.
Ready?
You only need three ingredients at the most:
Cocoa powder
Cinnamon
Turmeric
I kept mine as a loose bronzer, so I used an old pot from one of many purchased mineral makeup products which I had discarded. You can also make yours into a compact version instead of loose powder. Any small jar or pot will work.
First, I mixed together equal parts of cinnamon and cocoa powder. I wrote in my post about DRY SHAMPOO that while popular and totally clean/good, I had a hard time with the idea of cocoa powder in my hair. I still haven't gotten the courage to try that, but I have adjusted to using it on my face and it is much more pleasant than I expected!
 Lastly, I stirred in a *tiny* amount of organic turmeric powder, which if you're unfamiliar with it, Target sells organic turmeric under their Archer Farms brand in the spice section for $2.50. The amount of turmeric was probably 1/10 of the entire batch. I love turmeric for problem skin (like mine) but it can be very staining when used as a mask, so I decided just to mix in a tiny bit. I've never had a problem with it staining my sink or skin.
Here's the finished product! It leaves a really nice glow on my face that smells incredible. When we were on vacation last week we made good use of the hotel sauna. Every time we came out I smelled like a freshly baked Cinnabon! It was HILARIOUS but also made my mouth water a little bit. Mmm. So good.
Again, if you have any issue with cinnamon, feel free to omit it entirely. I know a woman who only uses cocoa powder on her cheeks and it is lovely. Also, check out CRUNCHY BETTY's original post to learn how to turn it into a compact vs. a loose powder, to see the original recipe or to learn what each of the ingredients do. As a personal recommendation, it works best if you apply it immediately after moisturizing. The powders will grab to your skin better :) Brush it on and blend if necessary.
All the best and as always, thanks for reading!

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Like I said, I've had no problem with it. But if you're worried, simply test a small area or leave the cinnamon out entirely :) the cocoa and turmeric aren't irritating :)

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to try this! I'm down to a couple more days left of my current mineral powder so I can use that pot to put this in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to trying this! I think it would smell great! I am so allergic to perfumes that I can never wear any scents. I think it would be great to smell like a Cinnabon!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading + responding to comments! Keep in mind that comments are moderated and spam will never be approved :)