Thursday, October 10, 2013

DIY Shoe Cover Up/Refashion

Hi!!
I have really, really missed blogging. We've been in the middle of a move and are finally settling in. We actually have one more (permanent) move  before it's over, but we're done for now. I just couldn't  seem to find the time or creative energy to blog, and now I can't seem to find my supplies! However, they're slowly resurfacing and I have a really quick little project for you.
I bought these boots a few weeks ago and really loved them. I didn't, though, like the lining inside of them. It's a Native American print, which doesn't really jibe with my style or the boot in my opinion, but even if it did- I would still be uncomfortable with it. Have you heard of cultural appropriation? If not, look into it.
Anyway, I gave it a quick refashion and made the boots all black! I could have chosen another color (perhaps hot pink for a pop) but decided against it. I think this would be really fun to use on cloth shoes (I keep thinking of ballerina flats) that are dirty and need refreshing. You could even tape off areas to create stripes, or do one color and then use a stencil to add a pattern.
Lots of ways to use this.
 All you need is a paintbrush and a bottle of fabric paint. I literally used a sponge brush for the large areas and a smaller brush for detailed areas/places that were hard to reach. It's embarrassingly easy. The Tulip brand covered in one coat, too. If you're using a color other than black you may need a couple of coats, though. I also had to do the inside of the shoe since it was lined in the same fabric. I just waited for each section to dry before starting the next.
I let them dry and they're ready to rock! In the photo above they were still wet, and it took about 3 hours for them to dry. Super easy, right? If I can track down a pair of ballet flats, I'll do a pattern on them and add it to this post.
I have a giveaway tomorrow to include with a (rare) high five for Friday post, so check for that! And hopefully next week we will be back to normal :) All the best, and as always, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading + responding to comments! Keep in mind that comments are moderated and spam will never be approved :)