Monday, November 4, 2013

DIY Organic Cheek Color/Stain

A couple of weeks ago I posted a failed attempt at cheek color to the FACEBOOK page. It was really disgusting and almost clownish.
I've been wanting to do a cheek color for a while now because for some reason I'm extremely sensitive to all kinds of blush (yes, even organic mineral... especially organic mineral!). I suspect it has to do with titanium dioxide, but who knows!
Anyway, Bea Johnson who wrote ZERO WASTE HOME uses beet powder to color her cheeks. It's a really great, easy idea and I love it but it doesn't work for me, the color won't  adhere. I decided to try using a carrier oil and started with jojoba oil, which is what created my first disastrous attempt.
I now have two ways to use it that ARE successful however and wanted to share them with you! The first, and my favorite, is to simply mix a little organic BEET POWDER (which I bought from amazon, that link will take you there) with your moisturizer and rub in. It creates such a gorgeous flush!
If mixing it with moisturizer is weird to you, here's a recipe for more of a stain. FACEBOOK
 I bought this little rollerball applicator from AMAZON for two dollars.
 Next, I grabbed some glycerin, which can be bought in any health store.
 I mixed 1 tsp of glycerin with 1 tsp of beet powder. Keep mixing until the powder is fully dissolved. Check the color by putting a bit on your hand and rubbing it in. If you need more color, add a bit more powder in. This was enough for me.
Lastly, transfer the mixture to your jar! Here's my disclaimer- beet powder must have a shelf life once mixed with a liquid, but I have no idea what it is. I'm considering storing this in my fridge and taking it out in the mornings to warm up before applying. Another method is to just mix a drop of glycerin with the beet powder and apply each day. You could store your powder in a shaker or something to make it a little easier. 
Here you can see the color applied (but not blended) on my hand.
And there you have it! Super easy way to get a nice little organic flush. I hope your week is off to a great start! All the best, and as always, thanks for reading!
**EDIT** It gets kind of hard in the fridge, so if you're making ahead and storing in the fridge, use a pot instead of a roller :) Apply with fingertips or a sponge.

4 comments:

  1. Amazing! 2 natural ingredients, and it is gentle for your sensitive skin. I love that you were able to make such a must-have beauty product so simply and naturally; well done, Auna!
    xo ~ Lia | <a href="http://www.smartnsnazzy.com>Smart n Snazzy </a>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lia! It doesn't break me out, which makes it a winner! haha :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks! And thanks for the feature! <3

      Delete

I love reading + responding to comments! Keep in mind that comments are moderated and spam will never be approved :)