Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Challah Breakfast Soufflé


This is based on the recipe that I use for baked french toast, which has significantly less sugar than the majority that I see elsewhere.
However, over the weekend when I made this substituting in Challah bread for my usual sourdough, it puffed up SO much that it resembled more of a soufflé and so, the change began!
You can make this in a regular pan, but you can also make it in ramekins and serve it in real soufflé style. I like the ramekins because it's so much easier to serve them in the bowl they were baked in, and they look so lovely!
Either way is delicious, however, and I really appreciate that this recipe is so reduced in sugar. I've seen some that have as much as 2 cups!
 I started with day old challah bread. I prefer to use day old breads when making recipes like this because they just seem to have a better texture.  The bonus is that they're always on sale!
Slice up your challah into 1 inch slices and then divide in half. At this point, layer them in either a pyrex style pan OR into large ramekins.
I have made this with greased and ungreased pans and found no difference. It seems to be a messy cleanup no matter what, but when I do grease, I use coconut oil.
Afterwards, mix up  your wet ingredients in a bowl with a whisk until well combined.
8 eggs
3/4 c. milk of choice (we use almond)
1 tbs. raw organic sugar (or honey, agave... sweetener of choice)
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. cardamom
 Pour the wet ingredients into the bread, either dividing up evenly amongst ramekins or the pan. Make sure to coat it all. There will be tons of excess in the bottom! Cover and place in fridge overnight or for at least 2 hours.
 I like to use berries, and we always wash them for an hour in a mixture of water and vinegar (1 part vinegar to 2 parts water) for an hour.  After they've soaked, rinse well and dry. You won't notice the vinegar!
Remove from fridge.
Flip the pieces so that the ones which have been soaking all night are now on top. Slice 1-2 tbs of butter (we use Kerrygold) and place pats on top throughout. Heat oven to 350.
 Bake pans for 50 minutes, or until golden brown. If you're using ramekins, check at 40 minutes to ensure they don't overcook. The challah will be puffed incredibly high and become a solid loaf again.
Cut into servings and top with powdered sugar, a drizzle of maple syrup and berries.
It's such an easy recipe and so delicious- perfect for a lazy Saturday brunch. Enjoy. All the best, and as always, thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading + responding to comments! Keep in mind that comments are moderated and spam will never be approved :)