Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Night Sky Shower Inspiration

Over the weekend my mom + aunts threw a baby shower for my cousin Kimberly. I'm sure I've mentioned Kimberly before- she's an incredibly talented woman, but also possesses a lot of style (both fashion and home-wise, as she is an interior designer) who I draw a lot of inspiration from.
Kimberly gave birth to a GORGEOUS baby boy two weeks ago, so the shower actually happened after he was born! He was apparently very eager to make an early arrival and since he is doing  so well and seems to be quite healthy- we were all very happy to see him.
I can't describe how cute he is.
Back to the shower: the theme was based on my grandma's favorite book. Since she passed away last year my mom wanted to honor her in the theme. The book was really a rhyme that my grandma read to her daughters- Wynken, Blynken and Nod. I absolutely love it, and if you haven't read it before you really should. It isn't a common theme, so I called this Night Sky instead since it's applicable.
As usual, everything was to theme. She drew color inspiration from the night sky, making everything pale yellow (stars) and shades of blue and purple. She served a trio of flavored butters at the party (lemon herb, blueberry and cinnamon honey) to be used on buttermilk muffins and then sent them home as favors as well. They're amazing. The two sweet flavors are a bit like a substitute for cream cheese and the lemon herb is really delicious for savory dishes. My mom used it recently in a chicken recipe. I can't even.
She also used children's books as part of the decor and then sent them home with Kimberly for the baby's library. Of course, they're all night/bedtime themed. The illustrations in "Time to Sleep, My Love" are gorgeous.
This display includes a backdrop with the complete rhyme of Wynken, Blynken and Nod. It also housed the gift bags and a little treat. At the end of the party, she used it to hold the favors.
Kimberly didn't want to have many games at her shower, so we had the standard low key shower fun. Decorate a baby diaper and + bib cookie.
These cupcakes were my favorite part of the shower. Seriously. My mouth is watering. The cupcake itself was almond with an almond filling and my mom piped a blueberry buttercream frosting on top. Then she made white chocolate stars and moons to adorn them and sprinkled with little sparkling sugar shavings. She also made a blueberry cheesecake, but I didn't get a photograph.
You may have noticed the cookie on the coffee cup. She bought star-shaped mug cookie cutters and used them with a sugar cookie recipe. She painted the tops of the cookies in edible gold + sprinkles. She also molded star and moon sugar cubes to use in the coffee. So cute! For non coffee drinkers, she wrapped water bottles in a "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" graphic + poem that was customized with the baby's name.
There was so much more at the party that I wasn't able to photograph- I was too busy celebrating my beautiful cousin and her stunning little boy. Many little details were nods to our grandma, such as serving her favorite sandwich (ruben - the woman was obsessed).
We are really getting close to our move date and I am so eager to start a whole new world of DIY house projects. I hope you're having the best end of summer/beginning of fall. All the best and as always, thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading + responding to comments! Keep in mind that comments are moderated and spam will never be approved :)